Should I Get The Dual Core Or Kept My Core Duo?

IRhythMz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I've been thinking About Do Another upgrade on My PC.
This Is My Current Spec:
E-View ATX Casing Happy 16H
E-View ATX 480W PSU
Intel C2D E4500 2.2GHz @ 2.6GHz *Overclock*
P5GC-MX MoBo.
3GB 667MHz KINGSTON RAM.
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB
[Core: 625MHz Shader: 1452MHz Memory: 835MHz] *Overclock*
Windows XP SP3.
DirectX 9.0c

Others:
2 Tinytech 80mm CPU Case Fan At The Back Panel To Exhaust Hot Air.
1 USB Fan At Front Of The Case To Blow Cold Air Inside.
Motherboard Bios Version 0203 AMI(American Megatrends)

Upgrade To: Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5700 @ 3GHz.(I Will O.Cied It)

Was It Worth It To Upgrade My CPU? And Another thing is About the UNINSTALATION Of the CPU,Is it Easy Or Veteran Mode? Should i take out the CPU Heatsink and fan then i uninstall the CPU?And Can You Explain me the Difference Between the Pentium Dual Core And The Core 2 Duo? And Which is Better For Gaming? Don't Add Like (Core i3 or Core Quad Whatever Doesn't Involve in My Topic,Unless It Matters which Everything you Explain,THANK YOU!)=D

Only a handful of pentium dual cores, such as the 805 and 925. They may have higher ghz rating, but are a less efficient design. The new core2 duos will run cooler, use less energy, and beat those p4's in benchmark tests. I have no problem buying a core2 duo used on craigslist if the price is right. Go to asus website for the p5gc-mx and select "cpu support". See if a certain bios file is required for the e5700 or if it's even listed. If it is, use your old e4500 to flash to the last available bios file, which covers all previous bios updates. If it's not listed, or your board is from a dell or hp, then the e5700 may not work, and don't waste your money on it.

Pentium Ds are older, slower, and hotter than C2Duos, it would be a downgrade (in spite of the GHz rating).

If you really want to spice up your rig I would upgrade to win7 64bit (it should run just about as fast as XP32bit, and take full advantage of your processor, and allow you to max out the system Ram on the mobo). After that you should upgrade to an SSD, they are not wasted on C2Duos, and will breathe some fresh air into your build.
If you really want a processor upgrade then I would suggest a late gen C2Duo, or C2Quad, there will be a decent difference as yours is a very early version of the C2Duo line, and they changed a lot before being replaced by the i3's.
The GPU could also use an upgrade, but if you are upgrading the GPU, and CPU then you may as well spend the money buying a whole new core upgrade with a modern CPU/mobo/Ram/GPU

Comparing your C2D to an old PD: minor improvement, except the C2D will OC better than the PD, plus the PD will use more power and put out more heat.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/65?vs=66

Comparing your C2D to a late gen C2D: ~2x improvement
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/65?vs=54

Comparing your C2D to a late gen C2Q: ~2-4x improvement depending if applications take advantage of the quad core
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/65?vs=49

Comparing your C2D to a modern i3: ~2-3x improvement
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/65?vs=289

Comparing your C2D to a modern i5: ~3-5x improvement, plus extreme OCability
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/65?vs=288

loneninja

Distinguished
^Do your research before posting, both of you. That isn't a Pentium D based on the P4 he is looking to upgrade to, the Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5700 @ 3GHz is nothing but a budget Core2 processor. That processor is better than his current one.

C2D E4500
http://ark.intel.com/products/30781/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E4500-(2M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

Pentium Duel Core E5700
http://ark.intel.com/products/42801/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5700-(2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

Can't find a review of the E5700, but you can see here the Pentium Dual Core E5300 is faster than his Core2Duo E4500. Should consume less power too as it's 45nm and not 65nm like the Core2 he has.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/65?vs=98

To upgrade:
update BIOS, check your mobo specs to make sure that the board will accept the processor in question (not all boards will go back to PDs, or up to later gen C2Duos/Quads)
Unplug from the wall (a dumb but important step oft overlooked)
Remove the heatsink/fan, clean the bottom of the heatsink with a low residue alcohol cleaner (nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, etc.) (really I just use a clean paper towel without cleaner and rub it out real good and still get good results, just make sure the finish is shiny and not dull)
Remove the old CPU, and insert the new CPU, be sure not to get thermal paste in the LGA socket! (happened to me, and I was careful lol)
Apply a small dot of thermal past (the size of a small pea) in the middle of the CPU, apply even flat pressure with the heatsink, and then tighten the heatsink down. No need to use a spreader if you apply the right amount of paste and even pressure. Do not put the heatsink down and then lift it back up as it will introduce air pockets; Just put it down, and leave it down. Every time you lift up you need to apply new thermal paste.
Reset BIOS
Plug everything in, save new BIOS settings at stock processor speed
Make sure Windows loves you (it should but occasionally you will need to reformat with a processor change)
Go back into BIOS and do your OC if desired.

Damn Intel and their inability to make a coherent naming scheme! You are right, it would be all around better, but a later Gen C2D or C2Q would still be better if his board can take it.

^ Great links on comparing CPUs (would have to factor in OCing). How high of an OC depends on the family and you could google Overclocking CPU XYZ to get a feel. I have an Old E6400 that OCed great upto 3.2 GHz, Could have gone higher, but NO need.

For gaming, your GPU is weak.

One point of disagreement - Switching to 64 bit (w/3gigs of ram) will probably decrease your performance slightly. At 4 gigs of ram it is pretty close to break even (You loose about 0.5 gigs Ram with 32 bit). Have to go 64 bit for over 4 gigs. Remember most programs are still 32 bit.

Speaking of ram, with 3 gigs you are Running dual channel memory in single channel mode. Recommend going to 4 gigs (2 x 2 Modules) for daul channel mode. With 4 gigs you can stay with the 32 Bit for now, You will lose about 1/2 gig, but performance between 32 bit and 64 bit is too close. At some point you will NEED to go 64 bit.

First pick your upgrade components, get cost and weight that against the cost to replace CPU/MB/Ram as a New system (even a I3 SB)will run circles around current system. You can reuse most of the other parts and replace as money allows. Keep in mind any upgrade to current system will leave you with a very dated system that you will want to replace downstream and if that is sooner rather than later your "upgrade" dollars will go down the leu.

to be honest i think the money your gonna spend on that upgrade will be wasted. better to consider a quad core 2.4 or better as that would be a real upgrade... you may get 10% more grunt swapping to the e5700 but it will still be relatively weak for gaming. a quad on the other hand will give more grun and give more headroom to run multiple apps. if you do change your mind go for a minimum of a q8400

Chief is right, the upgrade would be trivil at best (unless the CPU is being offered up free, in which case why not?), and you would be much better off saving your pennies for a core system upgrade of a new mobo, cpu, ram, and gpu (possibly power supply as well, depending).
But like I said, free is free, and if you find one for free then jump all over it.

adithecooldude4

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Hey Buddy... I want to overclock my Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20 Ghz to 2.60 Ghz or higher ---
My PC Specs are :-
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
230 GB HDD
Perx P-4 450U Power Supply
Radeon HD 5450 Graphic Card
Asus P5GC-MX Motherboard

Also if you can tell how I can increase the number of cores of my CPU will be helpful ?
I asked you because I have heard people say that overclocking on P5GC-MX is not possible but you overclocked yours so please tell me how you did that ?