Should i get the FX-8350

Shrigers-1326999

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Hi, im having a massive problem with which way to go toward upgrading. my specs are:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 @4.1Ghz
R9 280X Direct CU2
8gb ram
600w Psu
Corsair H60 Water cooler
ASUS M5A99X motherboard

at the start i had my cpu set to srtock clocks (3.4) but i was experiencing bottlenecking due to my gpu so i overclocked my cpu after some research on how to stop it, the overclocking worked but 4.1 is my maximum as when i go over i get the blue screen of death. im no expert and dont know what this means so i just took it down to the most stable setting and kept it there (4.1) as i still haver a slight bottleneck i was about to buy the FX-8350 to stop it but i was stopped after finding people saying it was a good upgrade and some saying it wasn't. so i looked for alternatives. i came up with the idea of getting a new cooler (h80i) and psu to stop the BSOD but i wasnt sure if this would be the best option for my gaming performance.

thank you for anybody who replies

Solution
"PSu brand and model ?would be really important as well"

This is also true for higher overclocks. So he may be able to provide more info on this front.

As for increase. I immediately noticed every thing has much more smooth game play. I am getting stable frames around 60 FPS in skyrim with ultra settings. It does dip to 48-50fps on occasion but I have not noticed it ever dropping below 45fps. The stabily of maintaining the frames was important to me. I recently started back on SWTOR and with 965 the fps would be all over the place. Now I run pretty much around 100 fps.

Hope my info helps.
That would be a really good upgrade, even at stock speeds you will experience not bottlenecking cause Vishera CPUs newer and better optimiced multicores, and more in concordance to R9 280X GPU in terms of technology.

Also the R9 280X has an elevated max TDP of 250W and requires 30A and a 550W psu minimum, and taking into account the vishera max TDP of 125W, you can be near to your limits.
The AMD Phenom II x4 965 increase the TDP and power comsumption considerably when doing OC activities.
Could you post your PSU brand and model ?

Cthomps

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
If you are noticing a bottleneck. I would definitely say the upgrade to FX8320/8350 is worth it. I was running the 965BE at 3.9 and now have the 8320 running at 4.2 and it is noticeably different. Much more stable in games and if you multitask at all or have additional stuff running in the back ground it runs much better. With my 965BE I never had anything going in the background to help.

Hope that helps.

PSu brand and model ?would be really important as well.

Cthomps

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Yeah I had the same feeling when I did the upgrade too. You will not be disappointed. And with your water cooling you will get even more OC out of it then me. I just OC;d with stock voltage on air and 4.2 is stable limit.

you should get 10~20 fps increase, may be even more.

Cthomps

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
"PSu brand and model ?would be really important as well"

This is also true for higher overclocks. So he may be able to provide more info on this front.

As for increase. I immediately noticed every thing has much more smooth game play. I am getting stable frames around 60 FPS in skyrim with ultra settings. It does dip to 48-50fps on occasion but I have not noticed it ever dropping below 45fps. The stabily of maintaining the frames was important to me. I recently started back on SWTOR and with 965 the fps would be all over the place. Now I run pretty much around 100 fps.

Hope my info helps.

Solution