Should i get the GTX 1060 6gb

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016
Im going to get a gtx 1060 6gb so i will need a gsync monitor but they are VERY expensive while on the other hand some freesync monitors are affordable but only work on amd cards not nvidia cards(i think)

The gtx 1060 performs better than the rx 480 based on benchmarks ive read here:http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2700-watch-dogs-2-gpu-benchmark-11-video-cards http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2630-gears-4-pc-benchmark-updated-with-ultra-high-settings http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2652-battlefield-1-graphics-card-benchmark-dx11-vs-dx12

Solution
Even as a 1060 owner I cannot agree that the GTX1060 is so much faster than a RX480. They trade blows a lot (ex.: The 480 does outperform the 1060 in Doom(2016) by 20-30%!) and when you look at some more recent benchmarks you'll see that AMD has improved with drivers more than nVidia further reducing the gap between the mid tier GPUs.

Personally I don't think G-Snyc is worth the extra dollar if you are not bound to nVidia yet. A good 144hz Freesync monitor goes for $250 where a G-Sync one costs usually almost double the amount.

If you want to make the purchase right now - get the RX480 4GB because, as Steve from Gamers Nexus often says: the difference in performance is measurable but not noticeable.

You will never be able to tell if...

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Yes and uses less power doing so. I would go with the gtx 1060, but unfortunately you wouldn't be able to use free-sync without an AMD card as you stated. You could always get a 144hz 1080p monitor and not worry about g-sync since it's so pricey.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Even as a 1060 owner I cannot agree that the GTX1060 is so much faster than a RX480. They trade blows a lot (ex.: The 480 does outperform the 1060 in Doom(2016) by 20-30%!) and when you look at some more recent benchmarks you'll see that AMD has improved with drivers more than nVidia further reducing the gap between the mid tier GPUs.

Personally I don't think G-Snyc is worth the extra dollar if you are not bound to nVidia yet. A good 144hz Freesync monitor goes for $250 where a G-Sync one costs usually almost double the amount.

If you want to make the purchase right now - get the RX480 4GB because, as Steve from Gamers Nexus often says: the difference in performance is measurable but not noticeable.

You will never be able to tell if your game runs at 71FPS Avg. or 75FPS Avg. (as in Gears of War bench)

The 1060 and the 480 really are equal and you have to consider that for the money you have to spend for G-Sny you could potentially buy a higher tier card.

If you are willing to wait till April, when Vega is supposed to launch, then you can get a higher tier AMD card + a FreeSync monitor for the price of a lower tier nVidia card + a G-Sync display.

Solution

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

Nobody said "so much faster" because it isn't. In fact the difference is almost negligible between the two in many titles, but the 1060 does have a slight advantage over the two. The point I was making is that it uses slightly less power (although looking further into it fairly negligible as well with newer drivers as you pointed out) to achieve similar to, in most cases, slightly better performance than the rx 480. In addition it would run a lot cooler at load and quieter too (depending on how aggressive your fan profile is). I would also look into games you play often and see if Nvidia runs better than AMD or vice versa.

There will always be a better card coming out so it's really a matter of when you are willing to buy and how much you want to spend. I have nothing against the rx 480 and either will be a good choice. I agree though G-sync is very very expensive and probably not worth it unless you are getting a top tier card and have money to blow.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Of course there will always be a better card when you wait. I just tried to defend my statement that you can get a higher tier card for the premium G-Sync asks. Since there are currently no higher tier AMD cards - we'll have to wait till Vega.

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

when will the vega be released

I own a 1060 due to the power usage and heat (my room gets warm in the summer). That being said I think the 480 is the card to get for long term owning. Not only do AMD cards tend to age better, but you also have the availability of CrossFire if your mobo supports it.

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

well if its april i will wait if its more than april i think i will get the rx 480(8gb).if i get the rx 480(8gb)which brand should i get