Should I get this monitor?

Krixic

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Hello!

I'm trying to upgrade from a 60hz to 144hz and I am stuck between two monitors. Those being the ASUS VG248QE and ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27". I can pick up the VG for 250 on Amazon but I have a buddy who made an impulse purchase on the strix and was willing to give it to me for 280. Should I get the strix? How is might it be better than the VG (in terms of color, quality, ect.).

Appreciate any help! Thanks

Solution
The VG is not a bad monitor but the colors can be off for at least a few days but do get better with use but for the extra cost I'd get the Strix as it's a VA panel (better colors then the TN that the VG has) and you do get a monitor that supports Freesync so that's a plus if you have a AMD GPU.

WildCard999

Titan
The VG is not a bad monitor but the colors can be off for at least a few days but do get better with use but for the extra cost I'd get the Strix as it's a VA panel (better colors then the TN that the VG has) and you do get a monitor that supports Freesync so that's a plus if you have a AMD GPU.

Solution

Since we don't know the GPU the OP is using, lack of G-Sync may or may not be an issue. That stated, it is a big plus to have a GSync monitor with an NVidia card, although that might even become a moot point with a monitor capable of adaptive sync and NVidia's GSync (Ultimate?) drivers. (NOTE: This remains to be seen.)

Don't get me wrong, the Asus VG248QE is a great monitor. I've had one for years.

It is a very bright monitor. So be prepared to turn the brightness down for the pest picture. Once you do that you can adjust the settings for a great picture.