Should I get windows 8 for my gaming PC?

Frederd4

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I have a current build for a gaming PC with no operating system at the moment.

I was wondering if I should get windows 8? I heard it can be diffucult to use with a mouse and keyboard, but at the same time I've heard it can be fun to use? I know the specs are reletively equal give or take some start up/shut down speed. Just wondering if you think its a good investment?

P.S. I can get both Win. 8 Pro and Win. 7 Pro for the same prive through my school

Solution
Bottom line first - go with the windows 8.

1) uSoft will soon be coming out with upgrade (8.1). How well it alieviates user complains is up for grabs.

2) have Win 8 on a i5-2410m Laptop and currently staying with 7 for my desktop. Primarily cost factor. will go to win 8.1 IF upgrade price is reasonable.

3) Keyboard and mouse is NOT a big issue, Just get Start 8 and it will look and FEEL just like Win 7 but with the FAST boot times of windows 8. Win 8 cut my laptop boot time from about 15 Sec to 8 seconds. NOTE: There are some free "Start Menus" but for only 5 bucks start 8 is hard to beat.

4) Win 8 seems to be HATE vs LOVE acceptance among windows 7 users, close to a 50/50 split For thoes that were "stuck" with it (New...

Frederd4

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Alright, from what I've heard the most annoying thing is hanving Metro instead of the start button?

From a performance point of view, it makes no important difference.

I suggest you go to a store where they will have any number of windows 8 pc's running. Test out 8. Personally, I found it hard to work with when using a mouse. And the tiles looked ugly. But... we all will get used to new things eventually.
I found the need to scroll to the side to uncover options annoying. The first time I used 8, I had to use google to find out how to find the power button to shut the thing down.
If you have other windows 7 pc's to manage, stick with 7 to avoid confusion.

Bottom line first - go with the windows 8.

1) uSoft will soon be coming out with upgrade (8.1). How well it alieviates user complains is up for grabs.

2) have Win 8 on a i5-2410m Laptop and currently staying with 7 for my desktop. Primarily cost factor. will go to win 8.1 IF upgrade price is reasonable.

3) Keyboard and mouse is NOT a big issue, Just get Start 8 and it will look and FEEL just like Win 7 but with the FAST boot times of windows 8. Win 8 cut my laptop boot time from about 15 Sec to 8 seconds. NOTE: There are some free "Start Menus" but for only 5 bucks start 8 is hard to beat.

4) Win 8 seems to be HATE vs LOVE acceptance among windows 7 users, close to a 50/50 split For thoes that were "stuck" with it (New OEM System purchase). Most have learned to addapt to it, some (unknown %, but probaby small) have hated it and "downgraded" back to windows 7.

My own experience: On Laptop, the only problem(s) I've had:
... On occassions tried to use my NON-touch screen as if it were a touch screen (Have a touch screen tablet). - LOL
... Only found one software app that would not run (work related, not a common app).
... Intsalled the latest Total theatre Program (at that time) for watching blu-ray DVDs/movies. Boot time jumped from 8 sec to almost a minute - OUCH. Uninstalled it and went back to old program. They have updated it, but have not tried the updated version yet.

Added:
As Geofelt indicated, you can go to Best buy and "play with Windows 8.
BUT bear in mind that this will not be with Start 8. With Start 8 There is Very liitle difference in look and feel.
... Old start menu is Back.
... Power OFF short cut back
.. Can even find uSofts Backup (to create a system image) without jumping thru hoops - For some STUPID reason usoft Bured this EXCELLENT app.
When My laptop boots you would think I'm using Windows 7, But with a mouse click I can revert to window 8 metro. Also as stated windows 8.1 will be out shortly - Free upgrade for windows 8.0.

For users with win 7, Very little reason to upgrade. For "NEW" OS purchase, Most would be better served by going with Window 8.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Go with Windows 8 OEM ,because it can be transferred to a new PC when you move on from your current build.Windows 7 is tied to the first motherboard it's installed on.

Windows7-2.jpg

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows8-1_zps0f2f36f7.png

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx