[SOLVED] Should I give it a try at changin the thermal paste of my GPU?

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
I've been having my GTX 1070 AERO 8GB card for a good few years now..
In the beginning I had no problems with it, the tempreture was mostly at a cool 50-55C under the maximum load. I was honestly surprised how good it was.

But now I'm struggling to let it not reach 70C with an extra big fan blowing from a side to help with the entire cooling of my PC..

Surprisingly it helps about 0% from my POV, despite the fans on the GPU and the fan from the outside, it just doesn't seem to be cooling anything, so my gut is telling me that it may be that the heat isn't exactly being transfered to the heat block as much anymore. So even at idle the GPU is at 30C with all the cooling on, when it used to be at 25-28C with no fans.

Now, I perfectly know that this is nothing bad to be in these temps. But I do want to hold my GPU at it's best condition as I clean it routinely of dust as well.
So my question is, should I give it a try at changing the thermal paste of my gpu that may be getting on the low key now?

Is there also any kind of thermal paste recommendations that I could apply ? I don't know any of them.

Solution
In the beginning I had no problems with it, the tempreture was mostly at a cool 50-55C under the maximum load. I was honestly surprised how good it was.

But now I'm struggling to let it not reach 70C with an extra big fan blowing from a side to help with the entire cooling of my PC..

Surprisingly it helps about 0% from my POV, despite the fans on the GPU and the fan from the outside, it just doesn't seem to be cooling anything, so my gut is telling me that it may be that the heat isn't exactly being transfered to the heat block as much anymore. So even at idle the GPU is at 30C with all the cooling on, when it used to be at 25-28C with no fans.

Now, I...
https://www.amazon.com/MasterGel-Ma...dp/B019BZENY8?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

Always master gel nano for GPU application.
Nothing touches it, it's thicker than standard cpu pastes no needs to be spread manually with the included spatula.

Wont get into the heart of GPU repasting, it can be awkward or easy depending on the card model.

If you have a modicum of common sense though and take your time it's not really that difficult.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016

Now, I perfectly know that this is nothing bad to be in these temps. But I do want to hold my GPU at it's best condition as I clean it routinely of dust as well.
So my question is, should I give it a try at changing the thermal paste of my gpu that may be getting on the low key now?

Is there also any kind of thermal paste recommendations that I could apply ? I don't know any of them.
If you're "tech savvy" then I would say why not. I changed the thermal paste on my GTX 1060 a few weeks ago because it was running noticeably hot lately. Dropped temps by like 10 degrees. Maintaining hardware is an absolute essential. Especially for PCs that sit there with numerous fans blowing dust and dirt at it 24/7. That's why I also recommend a bi annual dusting to my friends and family to keep temps low and performance high. Dust sometimes is a killer, and crusty old paste that has hardened is one too.

For thermal pastes I recommend : Arctic MX-4

Solution

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu

You may be surprised by the information that Power Supply aging this causing raised temperatures too.
Thermal paste was not designed to fail within ten or twenty years.
One quality manufacturer as is ASUS this will never use low quality thermal paste and therefore such material this will never need to be replaced.

If you decide to switch to a better power supply, feel free sharing the news with us.

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
You may be surprised by the information that Power Supply aging this causing raised temperatures too.
Thermal paste was not designed to fail within ten or twenty years.
One quality manufacturer as is ASUS this will never use low quality thermal paste and therefore such material this will never need to be replaced.

If you decide to switch to a better power supply, feel free sharing the news with us.

Well... I have never heard of a power supply increasing the temperatures but I can say that my PSU feels lude warm.. which is basically barely warm when under max load.. I was checking out the inside of the computer when playing AC: Unity on max settings which is more than enough to bring my computer under a max load stress test. And I was checking the components, heatblocks mostly.. For example, the one of the CPU was barely warm, but I also don't expect it to be used that much. And the same goes for GPU heatblock, it didn't feel warm at all.. Especially as the 3 fans under it was pushing out cold air.. meaning the AIR cooling is technically cold and efficient as I planned it. But the heat isn't coming through to the block itself.. Which is why I came here to take a step forward and get this whole thing done.

If you're "tech savvy" then I would say why not. I changed the thermal paste on my GTX 1060 a few weeks ago because it was running noticeably hot lately. Dropped temps by like 10 degrees.

For thermal pastes I recommend : Arctic MX-4

Thank you for the reply. I can't say I'm exactly really good at the whole PC stuff but I did build it.. So taking apart a GPU will be a first timer but I am excited.. I just hope not to mess up thermal application on it.. Which is probably my biggest worry as everyone has a different opinion on how you should apply it in the first place..

Always master gel nano for GPU application.
Nothing touches it, it's thicker than standard cpu pastes no needs to be spread manually with the included spatula.
If you have a modicum of common sense though and take your time it's not really that difficult.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion. It seems high quality to say the least. I'm probably gonna use that one as I heard cooler master is pretty good at that stuff..

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
Well... I have never heard of a power supply increasing the temperatures but I can say that my PSU feels lude warm.. which is basically barely warm when under max load..

No, temperature alone this is not a test.
The healthy PSU it should deliver energy according to electrical specifications at all DCV Rails.
This type of inspection it is something out of your waters (and or skilss for now).

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
No, temperature alone this is not a test.
The healthy PSU it should deliver energy according to electrical specifications at all DCV Rails.
This type of inspection it is something out of your waters (and or skilss for now).
Oh haha.. Well sorry I don't exactly know too much regarding PSU's I'm more familiar with the basics like putting it all together, cable management, airflow management and component application (as in putting parts together like CPU to motherboard)

I've repasted cards and gained stability back and dropped 15-20c, that's extremescenarios though, 7-8 year old cards that were used for 24/7 mining.

Seen strip downs of some new cards in the past though and the paste application was sketchy to say the least.