Question Should I glue/tape my Corsair Vengeance Airflow Fans to the backplate of my GPUs so I get lower temperatures on my GPU backplate?

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Currently, I have 2 of these Corsair Vengeance AirFlow Fans in my house just sitting around collecting dust:
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cmya...sair_airflow_vengeance-_-35-181-059-_-Product

I just got this new idea that because I have 2 Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti's running in NVLINK SLI:
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef..._ti_gaming_oc_gigabyte-_-14-932-064-_-Product

I could install my 2 unproductive Corsair Airflow Fans to the BACKPLATE of my 2 RTX 2080 Ti's

Because there is no stock cooling on the backplate of the RTX 2080 Ti's , the GPU backplate gets hot under heavy PC load.

If I thermal glue/tape the Corsair Airflow Fans to the backplate, wouldnt that make my GPU backplate a lot cooler in heavy PC load and ultimately, make my whole GPU cooler(better performance)?

To be honest I chuckled a bit after reading this.

I wouldn't recommend it, for a few reasons:
  1. It'll just look terrible and cheesy.
  2. I don't think you'll get an adequate amount of airflow to make a difference with that small fan.
  3. There are fans dedicated to having manually adjusted angles that you can aim directly onto the video card.
  4. You can always adjust the video card's fan speed curve to keep it cooler during high loads. you have a triple fan card, it should have PLENTY of fan speed headroom to keep it at moderate temps even in SLI. I have the gaming x trio and constantly leave the fan at 85% full speed. It never gets above 65c.
I mean, if you want to get experimental, then go for your initial idea, but I personally wouldn't.

Diddly

Distinguished
You can't attach them directly to the back plate, you need some clearance to vent the hot air, the fans need to sit above the backplate with a gap. I don't see how that's a bad idea. I don't know how much it will help either. IF you could fit some heatsink fins to the back plate that would greatly help things in theory. I look forward to your video of the results on Youtube.

Some1helpme

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
I was actually thinking about adding an aluminum heat sink to the back of my zotac 2080 ti as it gets quite hot but then went looking and it it not actually touching any modules via thermal pads or anything. It has stand offs where the back plate screws on so wouldnt make much of a difference. Would just impede the head from just leaving as it does.

TRENDING THREADS