Should i go 2x SLI gtx 1080 ti?

Ashenn

Reputable
May 3, 2017
probably sounds crazy but i want my pc to be extremely future proof, and im going to be doing alot of stuff at once on my pc so...

Solution
SLI is not any more "future proof" than anything else, that term honestly has no place in the PC world.
Get what you need now, when you need to upgrade, upgrade. There will always be something better in the near future, so why spend extra money you dont need to now only to be outdated anyway with minimal extra time gained?
SLI is not any more "future proof" than anything else, that term honestly has no place in the PC world.
Get what you need now, when you need to upgrade, upgrade. There will always be something better in the near future, so why spend extra money you dont need to now only to be outdated anyway with minimal extra time gained?

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Are you playing at a resolution at which you'll actually benefit from a second 1080ti? If not, the money is more futureproof. If I can't get benefit from a second 1080ti (or a single versus a 1080 or 1070), the money used to buy that second 1080ti would get far more value from buying a new, far better, single GPU at the point at which the 1080ti is no longer adequate.

If you're playing at 1080p, even the *first* 1080ti is a foolish use of resources, not just the second one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

2x1080ti doesn't do it either (and this is the first time you've mentioned to us this desire, or in fact, anything about your resolution). Wouldn't change the answers, however, as purchasing now for 8K gaming would be absolutely ludicrous. By the time GPU technology has advanced enough that 8K gaming is even remotely mainstream -- we're talking literally four times the pixels as 4K -- any solution involving a 1080ti would be horribly slow anyway.

Ashenn

Reputable
May 3, 2017

i mean if i want to waste my money on 8k i think i can waste my money on 8k...

Best to stick to 4k until GPU's catch wayyyyyy the heck up...perhaps in 2020! :)

(8k is 4x the amount of pixels compared to 4k....; GPUs are not there yet for most titles, and short of cutting off all of AA, textures, etc, to bring framerates to acceptable, this would sort of negate the primary goal of...better quality)

And we all know no one is buying any 8k monitors any time soon!) :)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

By all means waste your money, but theres not a GPU setup on the market that will play AAA games at 8k well.