Should I go Athlon64 or Barton?

Franklin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
MHz Duron system and now want something new.

I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.

I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
build a new system instead.

A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
power for me but am I buying into obsolescence? Athlon64 is where
the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
for Barton.

Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
than that?

Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
for athlon64? more expensive memory?

jk

Franklin wrote:

> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>
> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.

An Athlon XP processor would be your best value then.

> I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
> the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
> build a new system instead.

You could buy a new case, an Athlon XP, and new ram. That would probably
be good if you plan to upgrade to a socket 939 Athlon 64 in 18-24 months.
Right now socket 939 Athlon 64 chips are around $350 and up.

> A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
> power for me but am I buying into obsolescence?

Why not get an Athlon XP3000+400? It is only around $35 more than the 2500+
and you can get the most out of PC3200 ddr ram.

> Athlon64 is where
> the growth will be and furture residual values

Don't even think about residual value when dealing with computers. The Athlon 64

and K8 based Semprons are the future, but the lower priced Athlon 64 chips
use socket 754, and socket 939 will be gaining tremendously in popularity(and
the socket 754 fading) starting in '05. Socket 939 Athlon 64 chips(the 3500+
is the cheapest) start at around $350.

> will be higher than
> for Barton.
>
> Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
> than that?

Running 64 bit software and Windows 64 bit. Even 32 bit applications
benefit when run with a 64 bit OS.

> Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
> for athlon64?

Socket 754 mobos are around $30 more than ones for an Athlon XP.
Socket 939 mobos are even more expensive, but will drop significantly
in price, especially when 90nm Semprons for them appear in '05.

> more expensive memory?

You can use PC3200 ddr ram with both. Depending on your budget,
when you expect to do your next upgrade, and who you might have
in mid to give your pc to when you are ready to upgrade will be deciding
factors. You could buy an Athlon

You might want to buy a new case with a 350 watt or greater power
supply(Antec?) ,an Athlon XP 3000+ 400,a new motherboard, and
PC3200 ddr ram now, with the idea of buying a socket 939 Athlon 64
in 18-24 months(perhaps an Athlon 64 4000+ or faster chip will be cheap then).

Franklin (franklin_lo@mail.com) wrote...
> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>
> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.

So what app is giving you the urge to upgrade?

> I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
> the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
> build a new system instead.

OK.

> A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
> power for me but am I buying into obsolescence? Athlon64 is where
> the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
> for Barton.

Whatever you buy, you are buying into obsolescence. It's guaranteed
with computers. All you can vary is how long before it is reached.

If you keep this machine as long as you have presumably kept your
Duron 700, then the difference in used value will be pretty
negligible, IMHO. What's the difference between a Duron 700 and
Athlon 1200 (say) today? Not a lot....

> Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
> than that?

Umm. It's faster. If you have the urge to try a 64-bit OS then you
can. It's good for bragging rights. Your hair will start to grow
thicker, and more luxurient. Women will find you strangely
attractive. Sorry. I've been reading too much marketing material.

> Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
> for athlon64? more expensive memory?

The whole system will cost a fair bit more, as you suggest. Mobos
and memory will be pricier.

My advice is to set some parameters for the upgrade. Either set a
performance goal (I want it X times faster than current) and then
investigate acheiving that for the minimum outlay, or set a financial
limit (no more than UKP 500, say), and buy the fastest you can for
that.

Without a real idea of what you want you may end up disappointed,
broke, or both.

Ian

--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

In article <MPG.1ba7db02e9da7621989766@News.Individual.Net>,
Ian Riches <ianriches@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Franklin (franklin_lo@mail.com) wrote...
>> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
>> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>>
>> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
>> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
>
>So what app is giving you the urge to upgrade?
>
>> I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
>> the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
>> build a new system instead.
>
>OK.
>
>> A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
>> power for me but am I buying into obsolescence? Athlon64 is where
>> the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
>> for Barton.
>
>Whatever you buy, you are buying into obsolescence. It's guaranteed
>with computers. All you can vary is how long before it is reached.
>
>If you keep this machine as long as you have presumably kept your
>Duron 700, then the difference in used value will be pretty
>negligible, IMHO. What's the difference between a Duron 700 and
>Athlon 1200 (say) today? Not a lot....

What I've heard of Longhorn, the next full new release of Windows
(2006?) will require a machine comparable to a dual Opteron
in today's terms. In 2006 that machine will probably cost $500.
(all of this is vapor, so don't hold me to it. Billy can shange hos
mind at any time.)

Buy a machine in the "sweet spot" for price performance today, which
might be a midrange Athlon on a NIC/SOund/Video the motherboard
machine.

Spend the money you save on the system on a nice big LCD screen,
and good sound.

You'll be able to buy a "Longhorn Inside" machine 3 years from
now for less than the cheap machine you buy today. It will
probbaly be 64 bits, but why do you care ?

My $0.02.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

JK wrote:
> Franklin wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
>> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>>
>> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
>> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
>
> An Athlon XP processor would be your best value then.

Wha-aat!?!!!? But why would anybody want to buy a 32-bit CPU now?

Yousuf Khan

jk

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> JK wrote:
> > Franklin wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
> >> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
> >>
> >> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
> >> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
> >
> > An Athlon XP processor would be your best value then.
>
> Wha-aat!?!!!? But why would anybody want to buy a 32-bit CPU now?

A 32 bit processor under $120 would be good. My qualm is with high
priced 32 bit processors.

> Yousuf Khan

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Cheers Ian.

I'm in a similar position. Have a 2000XP system right now with 512Mb PC2100
RAM. Running a bit hot.

Looking for something to multitask faster (I have lots of open programs and
play music, TV in background).

*Very* tight budget. Have £200 to spend for new set-up (mobo, cpu and ram -
if needed?). Any ideas?

Cheers.

Bobby

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:41:02 +0100, Franklin wrote:

> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
> MHz Duron system and now want something new.

Unless you just "want it, and the money doesn't matter", there's no reason
you should do anything other than just upgrade your cpu. You can get close
to the speed of a new $400 system with just a cpu upgrade and it will be
many times faster than what you have now. The 2400+ you mentioned sounds
very reasonable to me. I just upgraded the cpu in my brothers old 750
Duron to an underclocked 2100+ running 1300MHz and he's happy with it.
Didn't even want me to speed it up any more, so I lowered vcore to 1.5v to
keep it cool and quiet. Now if he wants more speed, I can almost double it
with his current cpu. It was the cpu listed below.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:38:05 +0000, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> JK wrote:
>> Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
>>> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>>>
>>> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
>>> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
>>
>> An Athlon XP processor would be your best value then.
>
> Wha-aat!?!!!? But why would anybody want to buy a 32-bit CPU now?

Now that's a simple one to answer. He can quadrupple his speed with a
simple $50 cpu upgrade. They're cheap and most people don't need anything
faster. I sure don't. I just want it.:) My old XP ssytem works just about
as well as my new A64 system for what I do most of the time.

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

>I'm in a similar position. Have a 2000XP system right now with 512Mb PC2100
>RAM. Running a bit hot.
>
>Looking for something to multitask faster (I have lots of open programs and
>play music, TV in background).
>
>*Very* tight budget. Have £200 to spend for new set-up (mobo, cpu and ram -
>if needed?). Any ideas?

For a new CPU you'll want new RAM - you really do want to match the
CPU and RAM clock frequencies. For example, for an XP3200 (200MHz fsb)
that means PC3200 (DDR400) RAM. You can run with slower RAM and
upgrade it later, but you wouldn't be getting the full performance the
new CPU is capable of. What's the max processor / RAM speed your
current board supports?

Posting your replies under what you are quoting makes the thread
easier to follow, which will encourage more replies.

Tim
--
Guns Don’t Kill People, Rappers Do.

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:
>JK wrote:
[snip]

>> An Athlon XP processor would be your best value then.
>
>Wha-aat!?!!!? But why would anybody want to buy a 32-bit CPU now?

Perhaps because there are so few apps which are 64-bit only and we can
expect plenty of 32-bit apps in the future.

Tim
--

adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>Buy a machine in the "sweet spot" for price performance today, which
>might be a midrange Athlon on a NIC/SOund/Video the motherboard
>machine.

I'd agree with that. Look for price/performance rather than latest
and greatest. The difference in performance between middle and top of
the range will hardly be noticeable in most applications and for the
difference in price you could probably afford to throw the PC away in
a year and buy another, which will undoubtedly be more powerful than
top-of-the-range today.

If you just want something for word processing or to surf the 'Web get
the cheapest you can find; even todays entry level is more than
capable for business applications and Internet use. If you're a bit
more demanding then head for somewhere just above mid-range, where the
best price performance is typically a couple of options beneath the
top level.

>Spend the money you save on the system on a nice big LCD screen,
>and good sound.

Or save the money you'd spend a horrible big LCD screen, get a good
CRT screen and get p*ssed on the spare change.

--

<franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote:

>Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
>MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>
>I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
>editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.

Considering that you were getting by with the Duron 700, and
your modest needs, there isn't any good justification for
spending a lot more for the Athlon 64.

>I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
>the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
>build a new system instead.

True, anything you buy will use a lot more power, create a
lot more heat.

>A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
>power for me but am I buying into obsolescence? Athlon64 is where
>the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
>for Barton.

Actually it's a tough call there, typically the faster CPUs
for a given platform maintain their value better than the
slower CPUs for the next-faster platform... someday somone
will be looking to upgrade their CPU and will want near the
fastest their platform can support. As for the rest of the
parts, they'll be worth far less than you paid by the time
they show up on your doorstep or when you leave the store
with them.

>Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
>than that?

No, and you'd be buying the less mature platform,
potentially more issues to deal with.

>Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
>for athlon64? more expensive memory?

Yes, more expensive motherboard and heatsink (if you get a
good/quiet heatsink), though memory prices aren't much
different unless you buy into the hype that everyone should
use high-end, premium priced memory. Any decent name-brand
value-grade memory should be fine, will be a loss of a
percent or two of performance, but the cost savings could
easily more than offset that with a faster CPU or more
memory capacity, hard drive, video card, etc.

Best bang for the buck for yor needs would be something
like:

Athlon XP ~ $80
(add a bit for retail Athlon w/heatsink or good 3rd parth
'sink is addt'l $20 somewhere like http://www.svc.com when
on sale (like Thermalright SLK-947).

nForce2 motherboard ~ $65

Sparkle 300W PSU FSP300-60PN ~ $35

2 x 512MB PC3200 ~ $150

You would have somewhat higher performance with the Athlon
64, but for your present needs you won't benefit enough to
notice. As for "future" use, a 2 or more years from now
either will again be slow compared to newest CPUs at that
time, only buy what you need when you need it.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:41:02 +0100, Franklin <franklin_lo@mail.com>
wrote:

>Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
>MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>
>I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
>editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
>
>I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
>the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
>build a new system instead.
>
>A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
>power for me but am I buying into obsolescence?

If you buy a computer you are buying into obsolescence, regardless of
what you put in the thing.

> Athlon64 is where
>the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
>for Barton.

The difference at resale time is likely to be rather negligible.

>Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
>than that?

It will be faster, though will you notice it? Perhaps a more
important question though, is the price difference small enough that
you might as well go for the higher-end chip?

>Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
>for athlon64? more expensive memory?

More expensive motherboard, yes. Memory shouldn't really be more
expensive, in some cases it might actually be cheaper. A Barton 2500+
in an nForce2 board (such as Asus' A7N8X) will use dual-channel
memory, ie buy it in pairs. An Athlon64 2800+ (regardless of
motherboard) will use single channel memory. Price shouldn't change
much though, except maybe if you want 2GB+ or more in the system.

Here's a quick breakdown of prices for you from www.newegg.com.
There's no particular need for any other component to be different
between these two systems, so I'll just list the processor,
motherboard and memory.

Barton:
AthlonXP 2500+ $93
Asus A7N8X $72
2 x 256MB PC3200 $83
-----------
Total $248

Athlon64:
Athlon64 2800+ $146
MSI K8N Neo-FSR $107
512MB PC3200 $69
-----------
Total $322

Depending on the exact config of your systems the numbers might be
skewed a bit one way or the other, but you're most likely looking at a
difference of somewhere around $75. Personally I would say that this
$75 is money well spent for pretty much anyone except those on the
tightest budget.

The extra performance isn't going to blow you away by any means, but
it'll be there, and there will probably be some application down the
line where you'll appreciate the extra performance of the Athlon64.
Add to that the potential to run 64-bit software and operation systems
should the need (or desire) arise and the tiny extra added security
afforded by the NX-bit in the Athlon64 (helps prevent buffer overflow
attacks, a la MS Blaster, Sasser, etc.) and it makes sense to me.

On the flip side, if you decide that the extra cost is not worth it
for you and opt to stick for a Barton chip, you might want to check
out the 2600+. The above mentioned Newegg prices have the AthlonXP
2600+ for $95, or only $2 more than the 2500+.

-------------
Tony Hill

Pavl Hopwood wrote:

> adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>

>>Bvy a machine in the "sweet spot" for price performance today, which
>>might be a midrange Athlon on a NIC/SOvnd/Video the motherboard
>>machine.
>

> I'd agree with that. Look for price/performance rather than latest
> and greatest. The difference in performance between middle and top of
> the range will hardly be noticeable in most applications and for the
> difference in price yov covld probably afford to throw the PC away in
> a year and bvy another, which will vndovbtedly be more powerfvl than
> top-of-the-range today.
>
> If yov jvst want something for word processing or to svrf the 'Web get
> the cheapest yov can find; even todays entry level is more than
> capable for bvsiness applications and Internet vse. If yov're a bit
> more demanding then head for somewhere jvst above mid-range, where the
> best price performance is typically a covple of options beneath the
> top level.
>

>>Spend the money yov save on the system on a nice big LCD screen,
>>and good sovnd.
>

> Or save the money yov'd spend a horrible big LCD screen, get a good
> CRT screen and get p*ssed on the spare change.

yes - like I did this svmmer. vpgrade from a 750 athlon to a 2500 athlon
barton, with 256vidram nvidia 5700, 1 gig ram, dvd-bvrner/cd-bvrner, 22
inch Sony refvrb CRT.............800 bvcks. 200 for the monitor

600 bvcks for a midrange compvter is cheap. 64-bit will remain irrelvant
for another 5 yrs. (or more). The on board memory controller of the
athlon64 is nice (20-percent faster than barton on all things).

Bvt I svggest yov bvy cheap Barton now - then in three yrs yov can bvy
cheap again, only that cheap will be a 3.5 Ghz Athlon64 with 4 gigs ram
and 1-gig vid ram, blveray-bvrner.

--
http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

http://www.trvthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly vnchanged.
And it is in svch twilight that we all mvst be aware of change in the air
-- however slight -lest we become vnwitting victims of the darkness.
Jvstice William O. Dovglas, US Svpreme Covrt (1939-75)

"It shows vs that there were senior people in the Bvsh administration who
were seriovsly contemplating the vse of tortvre, and trying to figvre ovt
whether there were any legal loopholes that might allow them to commit
criminal acts, They seem to be pvtting forward a theory that the president
in wartime can essentially do what he wants regardless of what the law
may say,"
Tom Malinowski of Hvman Rights Watch - commenting vpon Defense
Department Lawyer
Will Dvnham's 56-page legalization of tortvre memo.

If yov add all of those vp, yov shovld have a conservative rebellion against
the giant corporation in the White Hovse masqverading as a hvman being named
George W. Bvsh. Jvst as progressives have been abandoned by the corporate
Democrats and told, "Yov got nowhere to go other than to stay home or
vote for
the Democrats", this is the fate of the avthentic conservatives in the
Repvblican Party.
Ralph Nader - Jvne 2004 - The American Conservative Magazine

"Bvt I believe in tortvre and I will tortvre yov."
-An American soldier shares the joys of Democracy with
an Iraqi prisoner.

"My mother praises me for fighting the Americans. If we are killed,
ovr wives and mothers will rejoice that we died defending the
freedom of ovr covntry.
-Iraqi Mahdi fighter

"We were bleeding from 3 a.m. vntil svnrise, soon American soldiers came.
One of them kicked me to see if I was alive. I pretended I was dead
so he wovldn't kill me. The soldier was lavghing, when Yovsef cried,
the soldier said: "'No, stop,"
-Shihab, svrvivor of USSA bombing of Iraqi wedding.

"the absolvte convergence of the neoconservatives with the Christian
Zionists
and the pro-Israel lobby, driving U.S. Mideast policy."
-Don Wagner, an evangelical Sovth Carolina minister

"Bvsh, in Avstin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
for the president to explain to vs what the exit strategy is,' Bvsh said."
Hovston Chronicle 4/9/99

"Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their covntry and trying to
destabilize their covntry."
Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

"The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along vntil there's a major
incident and then svddenly say, 'Oh my God, shovldn't we be organized
to deal with this?'"
- Pavl Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribvne Fovndation conference
on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

"On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to vse
his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hvssein's regime
the "aim of American foreign policy" and to vse military action becavse
"diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
wovld "offer ovr fvll svpport in this difficvlt bvt necessary endeavor."
Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, Richard L. Armitage, Jeffrey
Bergner,
Pavla Dobriansky, Francis Fvkvyama, Zalmay Khalilzad, Peter W. Rodman,
William Schneider, Jr., Vin Weber, R. James Woolsey and Robert B. Zoellick,
Donald Rvmsfeld and Pavl Wolfowitz. Fovr years before 9/11, the neocons had
Baghdad on their minds."
-philip (vsenet)

"I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
-Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

"I hope they will vnderstand that in order for this government to get vp
and rvnning
- to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
back, if I can pvt it that way,
or limited by them, It's sovereignty bvt [some] of that sovereignty they
are going to allow vs to exercise
on their behalf and with their permission."
- Powell 4/27/04

"We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
obviovsly are not going well. Yov're going to have good days and bad days."
On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
moments."
- Rvmsfeld 4/6/04

"I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this
covntry's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to
every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on
the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread
of freedom."
~ Bvsh the Crvsader

RUSSERT: Are yov prepared to lose?

BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

RUSSERT: If yov did, what wovld yov do?

BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
do for the covntry.
See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
changing times
here in America, too., 2/8/04

"And that's very important for, I think, the people to vnderstand where
I'm coming from,
to know that this is a dangerovs world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
president.
I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
war on my mind.
- pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

"Let's talk abovt the nvclear proposition for a minvte. We know that
based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
he has been absolvtely devoted to trying to acqvire nvclear weapons.
And we believe he has, in fact, reconstitvted nvclear weapons."
- Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nvclear weapons."
- Defense Secretary Donald Rvmsfeld, 6/24/03

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
- Richard Perle

"He (Saddam Hvssein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destrvction. He is vnable to project
conventional power against his neighbovrs."
- Colin Powell Febrvary 24 2001

"We have been svccessfvl for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continve to be svccessfvl."

"He threatens not the United States."

"Bvt I also thovght that we had pretty
mvch removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'Bvt what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking ovt and svddenly showing vp one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell Febrvary 26 2001

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I say hold ovt and wait for A64 price drop, and when the new 939 mobo's do
down in price, If yov want try a XP-mobile 2500 pair it vp with NFS-7 get
that baby oced to 2500 MHZ , get dval channel ddr 400 ( yov can also vse it
in yov later A64 rig) these chips are known to par with P4 3.2 EE at that
config and yov can vse the extra money for a better vid card or larger
hardrive (maybe SATA Raptor@ 10000k RPM ) :p jvst my 2 cents.
"gaffo" <gaffo@vsenet.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
> - Richard Perle
>

> "He (Saddam Hvssein) has not developed any significant capability with
> respect to weapons of mass destrvction. He is vnable to project
> conventional power against his neighbovrs."
> - Colin Powell Febrvary 24 2001
>

> "We have been svccessfvl for the last ten years in keeping
> him from developing those weapons and we will continve to be svccessfvl."
>
> "He threatens not the United States."
>
> "Bvt I also thovght that we had pretty
> mvch removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."
>
> 'Bvt what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
> for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
> keeping him from breaking ovt and svddenly showing vp one day and saying
> "look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

gaffo <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote:
<snip all>

Dude, your sig is a bummer, man. As much as I agree with your
political views and frustrations entirely, your sig as it stands
simply has no place on Usenet...it's very unpolite (meaning WAY too
large). Also, at least in this NG (.chips) your political
statements are falling more or less on deaf ears as this group is
populated with a large number of SWM (stupid white men) and even a
few VSWM (V = very). Get my drift?

J.

"Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
> MHz Duron system and now want something new.
>
> I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
> editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
>
> I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
> the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
> build a new system instead.
>
> A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
> power for me but am I buying into obsolescence? Athlon64 is where
> the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
> for Barton.
>
> Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
> than that?
>
> Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
> for athlon64? more expensive memory?

Well, if you've been happy with a Duron 700 up until fairly recently I
suspect a new machine based on an Athlon 3000, for example, will do you
pretty well.
You will probably pay top money just now for Athlon 64 as it's the latest
trendy thing, and the sweet spot for price/performance is likely a step or
two back from the leading edge of technology.
When you buy any computer you are buying into obsolescence, to some extent.
AMD already have the next CPU after Athlon 64 on the drawing board I expect,
as do Intel have the P5 or whatever in the design stage.
My feeling is to buy for what you need now, trying to keep an eye out for
long-term life but not be a slave to it. Upgradeability is limited by new
developments. Look at AGP, you might have thought, a year ago that you'd
buy, for example, a Radeon 9500 video card and upgrade to a Radeon xxxx in
two years time perhaps. But, of course, AGP is now being replaced by PCI
Express, so you can't do it. Similarly with processors, chances are you'd
need a new motherboard anyway to make use of new generations of CPU.

jk

John Fryatt wrote:

> "Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
> > MHz Duron system and now want something new.
> >
> > I don't play games, I am not a power user, I don't do video or audio
> > editing. I just surf and do some small office activities.
> >
> > I had thought of upgrading my current system to a T'bred 2400+ but
> > the PSU is not big enough and the case is a bit small, so I will
> > build a new system instead.
> >
> > A Barton 2500+ (with maybe an Asus A78NX mobo) is more than enough
> > power for me but am I buying into obsolescence? Athlon64 is where
> > the growth will be and furture residual values will be higher than
> > for Barton.
> >
> > Are there any other advantages of Athlon64 for a user like me other
> > than that?
> >
> > Are there particular disadvantages ... e.g. more expensive mobos
> > for athlon64? more expensive memory?
>
> Well, if you've been happy with a Duron 700 up until fairly recently I
> suspect a new machine based on an Athlon 3000, for example, will do you
> pretty well.
> You will probably pay top money just now for Athlon 64

Top money? An Athl 64 3000+ is only around $160, which is around the
price of a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz, and only around $50 more than an
Athlon XP3200+. The motherboard for an Athlon 64 is around $25
more than a comparable one for an Athlon XP. So an Athlon 64
doesn't have to be very expensive.

> as it's the latest
> trendy thing, and the sweet spot for price/performance is likely a step or
> two back from the leading edge of technology.
> When you buy any computer you are buying into obsolescence, to some extent.
> AMD already have the next CPU after Athlon 64 on the drawing board I expect,
> as do Intel have the P5 or whatever in the design stage.

It will be nice to buy a pc with a dual core processor a few years from now.
They might be out in a year, but will probably be quite expensive when
first introduced.

> My feeling is to buy for what you need now, trying to keep an eye out for
> long-term life but not be a slave to it. Upgradeability is limited by new
> developments. Look at AGP, you might have thought, a year ago that you'd
> buy, for example, a Radeon 9500 video card and upgrade to a Radeon xxxx in
> two years time perhaps. But, of course, AGP is now being replaced by PCI
> Express, so you can't do it.

He is not a gamer. AGP will be fine for him. The benefits of PCI Express
will be in the future for very expensive video cards.

jack wrote:
> gaffo <gaffo@vsenet.net> wrote:
> <snip all>
>
> Dvde, yovr sig is a bvmmer, man. As mvch as I agree with yovr
> political views and frvstrations entirely, yovr sig as it stands
> simply has no place on Usenet...it's very vnpolite (meaning WAY too
> large). Also, at least in this NG (.chips) yovr political
> statements are falling more or less on deaf ears as this grovp is
> popvlated with a large nvmber of SWM (stvpid white men) and even a
> few VSWM (V = very). Get my drift?
>
> J.

I vnderstand. Tony Hill said same.

Since yov seem to be in agreement in my political views - then yov may
vnderstand that these are Dark Times - not jvst for some of vs bvt for
the every existance of Liberty and America as we know it. I see Germany
1933, and as svch I have a compvlsion as an American Citizen and Patriot
to speak ovt in any and all ways. A dvty if yov will.

Feel free to *plonk* me it my sign offends.

After Nov2 it won't matter - the sig will go then - regardless of if
Liberty dies that day or lives.

That sig started small two yrs ago and with each lie it grow like
Pinocios nose. Now it is an obscenely obese sig. Sorry, if there were
less lying from the WH and that Regime, the sig wovld be alot
smaller.........

peace be with yov.

Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

[...]

Daniel

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Dude, get a talkshow on MSNBC. What's the point of putting quotes --
taken out of context -- and posting them to newgroups that have nothing
to do with what you're saying.

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:03:11 +0000, gaffo wrote:

> Feel free to *plonk* me it my sign offends.

Doesn't offend me. It just shows your stupidity and lack of consideration
for others. I guess you feel yourself above all others and the guidelines
weren't meant for you to follow.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Plonk.

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hey, I've just read his sig.

"Daniel" <daniel_nospam_@cavs.msstate.edu> wrote in message
> [...]

>> you may understand that these are Dark Times - not just for
>> some of us but for the every existance of Liberty and America
>> as we know it. I see Germany 1933, and as such I have a
>> compulsion as an American Citizen and Patriot to speak out in
>> any and all ways. A duty if you will.
>>
>> Feel free to *plonk* me it my sign offends.
>>
>> After Nov2 it won't matter - the sig will go then - regardless
>> of if Liberty dies that day or lives.
>>
>> That sig started small two yrs ago and with each lie it grow
>> like Pinocios nose. Now it is an obscenely obese sig. Sorry,
>> if there were less lying from the WH and that Regime, the sig
>> would be alot

Daniel <daniel_nospam_@cavs.msstate.edu> wrote:

> Dude, get a talkshow on MSNBC. What's the point of putting
> quotes -- taken out of context -- and posting them to newgroups
> that have nothing to do with what you're saying.

It's a good job he's not a muslim because then he might then have
quoted the whole Koran in his sig!