Should i go dell or build a system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eagle05

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
hello, I'm new to the forum. I am interested in getting a desktop but don't know if i should just go with a dell or go with a custom built one.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: sometime within the month, but not in a hurry.

BUDGET RANGE: 350 After reliable Rebates, but can be a bit flexible.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet, word processing, powerpoints viewing and editing, watching movies, burning onto cds and dvds.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, frys.com, any reliable website.

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type: AMD or intel.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want something that is fairly fast enough, at least a core 2 duo processor with at least 2-3 gigs of ram. Often times I run a lot of applications at once so I need something that won't slow down my computer. I want to use a 32 inch lcd 1080p tv as my moniter too. I found this dell system that includes a 20 inch LCD moniter, so I was thinking I could just sell that, which I'm sure i could sell for at least $100. THe link to the dell is here.

http://dealnews.com/Dell-Vostro-220-s-Core-2-Duo-2.93-GHz-Desktop-PC-w-20-LCD-for-429-free-shipping/339792.html

So basically should I go for the dell or build my own system? I would have to upgrade to get a dvd writer as the system as listed only comes with a dvd reader.

eagle05

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

this seems like refurbished systems. Are refurbished systems any reliable. any problems with these?

There can always be a problem, but the warranty is the same as if you purchased new.
I never had a problem with any of the one's I bought from the Outlet, it's been a few years though.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
There can always be a problem with new systems, refurbs are generally like new or new machines that have been tested.

Honestly for your $350 budget buy a dell. If all you're doing is internet then any core 2 duo setup will run you just fine. Especially with a monitor and/or OS it's hard to touch that price for a custom.

And that way he can still sell the monitor from the Dell and ultimately pay around $250 total for his system.