[SOLVED] Should i go for 2x 144Hz monitors @ 1080p resolution on Nvidia GTX 1060 ?

I currently have the BenQ XL2411P Monitor which is a TN monitor. Surprisingly its colors are not so bad (but it is still noticeably less rich than an IPS monitor) and its viewing angles are not as bad as my 2nd monitor (which is also a TN Monitor).

My 2nd monitor is a Philips 223V TN Panel. It has very extreme whites, shown on the right of the image that I want to replace it even after hours of meddling with its settings (see here: [Imgur]( View: https://imgur.com/YJAl01o
).
I could go for the Samsung ls24r350fhexxp (24 inch) which is IPS, however I am wondering what are the prospects of going for a Viewsonic XG2405 Monitor instead? can my GPU handle both monitors at 1080p?

The only other reason why I like the XG2405 is because it can be shifted to a portrait orientation, just like my BenQ XL2411P.

If you have any other suggestions for a better 2nd monitor, my only criteria is that it must be max 24 inches (or else it won't fit my table dual-screen setup) and of course, must be IPS. I need to see the rich colors for photo editing and view it from an angle. If the monitor can be shifted from landscape to portrait and vice versa, it would be a +

I am wondering if this is feasible. I will only run both monitors at 1080p (1920x1080) resolution, can my GPU handle it?
If my GPU can't handle it, which GPU should I get? How does one determine if a GPU can handle 2x 144Hz monitors at 1080p resolution?

I'm also thinking of another method in case my GPU can't handle a 2nd 144 Hz monitor, and that is to set both monitors at 60 Hz refresh rate @ 1080p resolution until I get a better GPU. I'm by no means not in any rush to get the GPU and will wait for RTX 4 series to come out if need be, but if this is an option I can take, please lemme know.

Solution
A second monitor uses @ 10w or less from a gpu. I ran dual monitors from a gtx970 for years with no issues. The output to the second monitor won't be 144Hz because that's not the output of Windows or anything run through Windows. It runs at 60Hz, so that's what you'll get. Works like YouTube content which is generally 480p-720p but can be as high as 4k, yet still plays on a 1080p because the content is different from monitor resolution.

It's only in non-windowed format like OpenGL or external apps in a Windowed format like games using DirectX that you'll get the full 144Hz ability.

So a 1060 playing on a single screen is not really any different to a 1060 playing on one screen and watching YouTube on another. Very little performance...
No I'm not going to game on 2 monitors. Not a lot of games utilize 2 monitors at the same time.
1 for Gaming, 1 for Productivity

Since 144Hz monitors are getting cheaper, I may as well get it. They used to be skyrocket high a decade ago.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A second monitor uses @ 10w or less from a gpu. I ran dual monitors from a gtx970 for years with no issues. The output to the second monitor won't be 144Hz because that's not the output of Windows or anything run through Windows. It runs at 60Hz, so that's what you'll get. Works like YouTube content which is generally 480p-720p but can be as high as 4k, yet still plays on a 1080p because the content is different from monitor resolution.

It's only in non-windowed format like OpenGL or external apps in a Windowed format like games using DirectX that you'll get the full 144Hz ability.

So a 1060 playing on a single screen is not really any different to a 1060 playing on one screen and watching YouTube on another. Very little performance impact.

Solution
The output to the second monitor won't be 144Hz because that's not the output of Windows or anything run through Windows. It runs at 60Hz, so that's what you'll get.
Interesting. I will test it out once I get the monitor. I know you can only utilize the full 144Hz if you run games at full screen, so it must be the same way.

The only other plausible reason that I can think of running the 2nd monitor on full screen is movie watching if you max out VLC media player on full window mode or if you're using a photo editing software that's on full window mode, then you'll be able to utilize 144Hz into action.

The other reason why I want to go for that 2nd 144hz model is that it can be rotated in a portrait orientation (I know what I want in mind), good for long word documents and coding.
Given the pandemic and such, I'm still going for it. Better buy it now than probably suffer an out of stock shortage later.

As for the GPU I think I'll pass on the RTX 3 series and wait for RTX 4 series which probably doesn't come out by the end of this year and hopefully pandemic would grind to a halt. Just wishful thinking but we'll never know. I do miss the days where you get high end GPUs for under $1000

As it is right now for GPU - there's pandemic + cryptomining boom + water shortage at TSMC's fabs + Ebay scalpers + Asus and MSI are also jacking up their gpu prices (maybe it might discourage scalping), definitely not a good time right now to buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karadjgne
I bought it. Viewsonic XG-2405 monitor. You can never go wrong with an IPS especially if its your 2nd monitor. You essentially must have IPS because of that needed viewing angle otherwise you'd see the colors fade out from where you're looking on your first monitor. I have read in reddit that this model is the best value 144hz monitor and it really is!

From my power chute software (since I have an APC UPS), my wattage consumption increased from 70-80 Watts idle to 119 watts idle with the new monitor. Decreasing the brightness did not decrease wattage consumption.

Its expected since this monitor generally consumes more power, but if my UPS complains about it I can just split the load again by connecting my 2nd monitor to my 2nd UPS :)

I then changed the refresh rate of my 2nd monitor to 144Hz and tried playing a movie on full screen with VLC Media player. I'm not really too sharp with the difference, other than noticing that when I move around the mouse, its actually smoother.

I essentially now have 2x 144hz monitors, a TN panel and an IPS, and to buy it in a mall while covid cases are rising, its like going through hell.

Regret buying that cheap Philips monitor. Colors too washed out and you can barely make out anything if you make it your 2nd monitor. Only thing I can make use of it is making it my monitor for my crypto mining pc. Colors washed out wouldn't matter too much because I'm not really monitoring my crypto performance 24/7.