Question Should I go for a power supply that's REALLY good but is of an unknown brand?

Jul 19, 2019
For my build, 650W would be more than enough (1660 Ti + R5 2600x) but the offer is also very good. It's a relatively new brand called Mercury. The offer is basically an 850W Gold Fully Modular PSU from Mercury for the price of a 650W Gold Semi-Modular PSU. The offer might seem too suspicious, which it kinda is, but the retailer (He's really trustworthy and knowledgable about hardware and I'm going to buy the whole build from him) told me that it's a relatively new brand in the market, based in the EU, and has good sales here in Egypt and that he never got any complaints from it. It seems like a really good deal to me especially since it's Gold-rated, so the efficiency of its parts and power consumption should also be very good. What do you guys think I should do in this situation?

mangaman

Honorable
I probably does not have any professional reviews. Without any professional testing for voltage ripple and load tests, that PSU could blow up your system if under high demand. I would avoid that PSU like the plague. Go with a trust worthy brand such as Corsair or Seasonic.

It's a relatively new brand called Mercury. The offer is basically an 850W Gold Fully Modular PSU from Mercury for the price of a 650W Gold Semi-Modular PSU.

What makes you think it's "really good" if nobody has ever reviewed it, tore it down, etc?

Because it's "Gold" rated? "Gold" is just an efficiency and not a badge of quality. And a lot of people fake these logos. Did you even see this particular PSU on 80 PLUS's website?

Do you have a link to this PSU?

EDIT: I just checked the 80 PLUS website and there is no "Mercury" brand listed anywhere.

EDIT #2: Are you in Russia? Because Russia likes to fake lots of things... like 80 PLUS and American elections.

Reactions: jankerson
What makes you think it's "really good" if nobody has ever reviewed it, tore it down, etc?

Because it's "Gold" rated? "Gold" is just an efficiency and not a badge of quality. And a lot of people fake these logos. Did you even see this particular PSU on 80 PLUS's website?

Do you have a link to this PSU?

EDIT: I just checked the 80 PLUS website and there is no "Mercury" brand listed anywhere.

That's never a good sign. :unsure:

DSzymborski

Titan
For my build, 650W would be more than enough (1660 Ti + R5 2600x) but the offer is also very good. It's a relatively new brand called Mercury. The offer is basically an 850W Gold Fully Modular PSU from Mercury for the price of a 650W Gold Semi-Modular PSU. The offer might seem too suspicious, which it kinda is, but the retailer (He's really trustworthy and knowledgable about hardware and I'm going to buy the whole build from him) told me that it's a relatively new brand in the market, based in the EU, and has good sales here in Egypt and that he never got any complaints from it. It seems like a really good deal to me especially since it's Gold-rated, so the efficiency of its parts and power consumption should also be very good. What do you guys think I should do in this situation?

No.

For one, I can't find any Mercury power supplies in the 80-plus database either. Which wouldn't be surprising; dodgy off-brands lie about their certifications all the time and 80 Plus doesn't have the resources to chase after every two-bit manufacturer servicing non-Western countries.

Secondly, I don't think this retailer knows what he's talking about. Mercury isn't remotely a new brand, you can find ancient power supplies from them, all garbage.

71y%2BttY8aGL._SX425_.jpg

Same logo and all, so it's not a different company with the same name.