Should I go from Win7 Ultimate 64bit to Windows 10 Pro 64bit?

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my OS system from windows 7 ultimate 64bit to windows 10 pro 64bit. But, first, I have some questions to ask, someone with the experience, knowledge, understanding - and a lot of patience with me, please - will be really, and heavily, greatly much appreciated.

Below, I'll type my questions in a simple order, and please, keep the answers simple and easy, because my english are very bad. :

1. Which version of Windows 10 can actually play games? - like, from 2010 until today.
2. Can I upgrade from win7 ultimate 64 bit to win10 64 bit version without the loss of my files?
3. Is it better/easier - definition : To use, to feel it, to move icons, run programs/apps?
4. If the OS does not contain Cortana, can I still download and install her on the win10 OS?
5. How is really the experience with Windows 10 versions for you? - Yes, personal question here.
6. Is it true, that Microsoft is spying on you while using windows 10+Cortana Assistant?
7. Is it worth to buy it? - in my country, it's roughly up to 160 euros, which technically is 175$.

That's all, I think. I'm mainly interested to get the right version for me, which is best and why, what it does, can it play video games? Can I get any kind of support from Cortana? Is it even worth to upgrade from 7 ultimate 64 bit to windows 10 -insert version- 64bit?

Solution
1. Win 10 Home is just fine for a games machine. And significantly cheaper than Pro.
2. Maybe, probably. Good idea to have a good backup, just in case.
3. Subjective, but I like it.
4. It does contain Cortana.
5. I've had zero issues with Win 10. Read through the many replies here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2600433/experience-windows.html
6. No more than Siri or google's equivalent. To return results to you, it has to know what you are doing.
7. Worth can only be determined by you. But it is fast, stable, and provides DX12 support for future gaming.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Win 10 Home is just fine for a games machine. And significantly cheaper than Pro.
2. Maybe, probably. Good idea to have a good backup, just in case.
3. Subjective, but I like it.
4. It does contain Cortana.
5. I've had zero issues with Win 10. Read through the many replies here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2600433/experience-windows.html
6. No more than Siri or google's equivalent. To return results to you, it has to know what you are doing.
7. Worth can only be determined by you. But it is fast, stable, and provides DX12 support for future gaming.

Solution

1. Any Windows 10 version can play games.
2. Yes, you can upgrade without loss of files.
3. Windows 10 is a bit different, but not by much. Can't say it's better/easier. About the same.
4. It contains Cortana. But it consumes resources. I better like it turned off.
5. Windows 10 is Ok, I prefer it to windows 7.
6. Spying in windows 10? Probably. :) Who cares?
7. If you have legal and activated windows 7 and you use assistive technologies, you can still upgrade to windows 10 for free.
Google for "Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users"

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
At no4, when you say it consumes resources, what do you mean? Like, battery? I use a desktop tower pc. Is it gonna do anything bad on my computer or hardware in any way?

Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that Cortana does not exist in earlier versions of windows 10, only on the anniversary update package which I don't know where to buy it from, or it doesn't really matter? I don't want to be sold in to an older version that lacks items/programs.

By consuming resources I mean - ram usage, cpu usage, disk reads/writes.
It's ok to play with Cortana for a while, but she doesn't have much of a real use.

Windows will update itself to latest version.
As I said - you don't have to buy windows 10, if you qualify for free update.
Use, while this free update lasts. Microsoft will probably remove this option soon.

BTW Cortana itself is considered assistive technology. So if you're interested in using it and your windows 7 is legal, you definitely qualify for free upgrade.

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Thanks a lot for your answers, greatly appreciated. It's hard to choose only one best answer here, as always...I'd feel very bad If I were to choose only one person and leave aside the other.

It depends on your hardware. If you have low end hardware like CPU with only one or 2 cores, just mechanical hard drive, low amount of ram, then Cortana will impact performance of your PC harder than if you have high end PC.
But you have to see it for yourself and decide if benefits from Cortana are significant enough to have her enabled.

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
I have these specs :

Motherboard : ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
CPU : Intel I-5 4570 3.2 Ghz - upgraded the cooler to an aftermarket cooler Hyper EVO TX3.
Ram : 8GB
GPU : NVidia GeForce 750 Ti - upgraded to GTX970 EVGA ACS2 4GB SC2.
PSU : 530 ATCSx
Monitor : Samsung 32" HDTV 1920x1080
Case : Aerocool GT Black Edition