Should I go on and create a open case myself?

ErskaConti

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
first off: I am sorry if this is against some basic rule written or unwritten of this forum. I also ask you to forgive me for possible spelling/expressing errors.

So I have gone through the job of getting (ordering) myself a few computer parts:

E6600
8800GTS 640mb (I wanted the extra megs...)
2x1gb Kingston 800mhz
Asus P5N-E

and then the things that will be used for cooling:
Zalman CNPS9700 NT
Corsair HX520W (well yeah... wouldn't really be used)
stock E6600 fan.

I wont be OCing anything...

I do have a midsize case from 1995
metal body&sides front panel plastic and no extra holes for fans

this is keeping my stock Gainward Geforce6200 256mb at somewhat stable 47 (number shown by Nvidia driver) ... with only PSU fan and stock fan, no extras... this is added here as it might describe the case a little.

but now I am thinkin;
should I go for an selfmade "case" that would be more like a table
it wouldn't have any casing around the thing and I would make it tilt a little so that my cat wont go and sit on it...
I would place the E6600 stock fan to blow along the 8800GTS and have zalman take care of the cpu... and well uum yeah maybe something more...

now the real quesition:
:?: Would me going for a open build mess up cooling, and thus render it useless for me to do this. or should I use a normal case, in that case should I go for a new case or stick with my old one...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
:?: Would me going for a open build mess up cooling, and thus render it useless for me to do this. or should I use a normal case, in that case should I go for a new case or stick with my old one...

I've witnessed some big air cooled OCs on test benches, so I wouldn't worry about it running hot, especially since you say you will not OC. I'd be more worried about dropping or dripping something onto the goods.

OTOH, the old case better pretty sexy or I wouldn't consider using it either.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I wouldn't run open bench for 24/7 use, personally. The cat is going to get curious and they always head towards heat sources, probably end up with a tail stuck in the Zalman :p

I would say to get a new case, the old case may be good enough if you can get a few intake and exhaust fans in there.

Here are a couple common (for good reason) cases.

Antec P180. (Good price right now too)

Antec Nine Hundred

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I wouldn't run open bench for 24/7 use, personally. The cat is going to get curious and they always head towards heat sources, probably end up with a tail stuck in the Zalman :p

I would say to get a new case, the old case may be good enough if you can get a few intake and exhaust fans in there.

Here are a couple common (for good reason) cases.

Antec P180. (Good price right now too)

Antec Nine Hundred

I think Antec cases are over-rated. Just cuz Antec is popular doesn't mean they're the only or best option for cases. CoolerMaster and Ultra make some good cheapos. If you want to build a desk/case, sounds SWEET! Anytime someone customizes it's rad. Stock is so...stock. Cats aren't stupid. If you do happen to get a tail caught in a fan, it won't happen again. :p My cats tend to chew on wires. ANNOYING!

ErskaConti

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I've witnessed some big air cooled OCs on test benches, so I wouldn't worry about it running hot, especially since you say you will not OC. I'd be more worried about dropping or dripping something onto the goods.

The dripping something onto them wouldn't be a problem, I would place this buildup in a corner, and as I really do have a cat in my house (I had thought about this too ^.-) I would tilt the whole buildup and thus making the whole table unreachable for the cat, well at least undesirable...

sounds like an open build wont destroy the cooling or anything else really... so I think I'll go crazy with my design ^.^

this is actually mostly a way for me to reduce the cost... as I have the roof at 1500€ and want to stay closer to 1000€...
then again I might end up spending around 100€ on the custom case anyway so I guess it is also for the fun.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Talking about cats and PCs...

My pretty little kitten (an 11-year old psychotic half-Persian to everybody else) is pretty PC-savvy when it comes to fans and other moving parts. If it emits a whirring noise, she doesn't go near it. She did get her tail nicked in a system on the bench for testing about eight years back. The result was a cat viciously attacking a computer for about five minutes, and getting nicked a few more times. Since then, she's kept a decent space between herself and anything with spinning blades.

Open cases tend to be a bit of a disadvantage with cooling, unless you're in an air-conditioned room, or a cold climate. With an open case, hot spots form very rapidly, and dust build up is immense.

The Antec offerings mentioned aren't too bad, CoolerMaster also makes a nice line of relatively cheap cases, while the lower-range Gigabyte cases are also quite nice.

Orion63

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I built my own test bench for troubleshooting questionable parts. I used an old P2 600mhz intel mobo but it has ISA, PCI and AGP slots. If you run without a case, be sure to power off the power supply and monitor when it is unattended. Real easy to drop a screw in the works!

You can build one using thin shelf material, then use all-thread with nuts to make each level (to mount HD, CD drive, PSU). I used an old ATX case mobo panel to mount the mobo, then epoxy'd the power switch, reset switch, and LED light block. I also epoxy'd little square wooden blocks to the bottom of the mobo panel to keep it from scratching the table. I got the idea from the back of a PC magazine.

later

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Build your own case get creative and make it from some toasters or something put a desk fan in the side that'll keep it cool.
But seriously try modding your old case I've always been tempted to but never been bothered I'm sure I will someday and I'll post it up here.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006

but now I am thinkin;
should I go for an selfmade "case" that would be more like a table
it wouldn't have any casing around the thing and I would make it tilt a little so that my cat wont go and sit on it.

Cats and computers augh !!!!
I can build about 75 full sized cats with all of the hair I've had to take out of computers.
The only good cat is one that you can wipe your feet off on before entering the home.
It's getting warm out now, they will shed.........put them in a barrel until Fall to keep you computer clean.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I was looking for a fun project as well, so i took my existing case and just drilled an extra hole for a 120mm fan at the top. As long as your case fits the equipment, i would just mod the case to fit my desires. that open air thing sounds like a fun project, but is a recipe for an eventual disaster (shelf collapse, toasted cat). it's your machine, but i'd hate to see a great rig fall victim to destruction.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Anyone ever see one of those sewing tables with the sewing machine that tucks down into the desk thinger? I'm reminded of something like that. What you need is a sealable hole in the top of the desk, a cage underneath that can allow air flow and hold the computer build, and a removable board that your motherboard can be mounted on. If the PC is UNDERNEATH the table, it won't put off much noise hopefully. Don't forget to try and make it quiet and unnoticeable, and use rubber to cushion parts. If a thief breaks in like a SickNinja (no pun intended), then they might not even see your PC! :)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Oooh, wicked idea too! Run the cords down through the LEGS! :idea: If anyone tries this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a PM and show me PIX!!! (or at least a link to the site where you post some)

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I think Antec cases are over-rated. Just cuz Antec is popular doesn't mean they're the only or best option for cases. CoolerMaster and Ultra make some good cheapos. If you want to build a desk/case, sounds SWEET! Anytime someone customizes it's rad. Stock is so...stock. Cats aren't stupid. If you do happen to get a tail caught in a fan, it won't happen again. :p My cats tend to chew on wires. ANNOYING!

Did I say they were the only/best options he had? No. I said here are a few common cases, and there are reasons they are common, two of which are they are built well and they are reasonably priced.

I'd say my case is pretty custom...so I'm rad? Cool!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hey Tool, your mom called. She wants her rag back. Defensive much?

For the record, you listed 2 Antec cases and that was it. The Antec900 isn't even in the top 5 of "most popular cases" I wouldn't think. Anyone have those numbers?

TRENDING THREADS