Should I go two power supplies?

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Folks, I sit at the HAF X Case with a Corsair 750 watt modular sitting in the corner ready to hook into the i7 2600K 1155, and two MSI Lightning Extreme 3 g/per card in SLI on a MSI Z68A-GD65 board.

That right there is undeniably obvious to me that will be all that can be fed by this power unit.

I have a bunch of Fans, some really large fans and a group of... small cute fans helping out here and there with some medium size brutes. The case has 6, inside is two (One little 80mm and a bigger excaliber 120mm) assisting with video card cooling. I wish to add a 4-in-3 drive cage with it's own 120mm fan.

Folks, it pains me that I spent the money on this Corsair Modular. Remember that I am limited by the wall plug, a standard 15 amp on a 10 gauge bus wire to a protected and surge proof 200 amp house box. Next to the computer is a Sine wave 800 watt cyberpower battery which I am unsure of already. I will buy a second battery to help.

If I buy, say a runt 500 watt Gold 80 modular and feed fans only with it, how in hell can I turn on that power without having to open the side window door case panel? In fact it brings up another question. There is only one Power, Reset and so forth to the CASE's front panel to the bottom of the motherboard.

I have a few DC/AC 12 Volt sources and I am very tempted to put a Power distribution board on the back side panel behind the motherboard where HAF built a space for cable routing and hard wire all the fans to that. Then find a way to connect the PDB to a external 12 volt power source.

Does the fans feed on 12 volt AC or 12 volt DC? If so how much?

Or should I toss the new modular 750 watter into an older box and pull that old small psu and use that instead to feed fans?

Or should I put a gun barrel to my head and spend more money on a Kilowatt PSU that can feed everything at great cost? I hate to have to consider a Solar set up to ease the load.

I am a noob at this. But have been happily building systems as cheaply as possible and managed to get away with it. This system is my first stab at a truly monstrous beast designed to crush BF3 and already I feel sorry and buyers remorse at cheapening out on one PSU.

Help?

Solution
Fans dont use much power, 6W at the very most, if your power supply cant handle the system with the fans then it wouldnt be able to handle it without them either.

There are connectors which will join the 24 pin ATX connectors of the two power supplies so they will turn on at the same time.

Fans run on 12V DC, pulling less than half an amp at the very most from the power supply.
Fans dont use much power, 6W at the very most, if your power supply cant handle the system with the fans then it wouldnt be able to handle it without them either.

There are connectors which will join the 24 pin ATX connectors of the two power supplies so they will turn on at the same time.

Fans run on 12V DC, pulling less than half an amp at the very most from the power supply.

Solution