[SOLVED] Should I have SSD for OS + NVMe for games?

jackamo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Hi All,

Is it best to have a dedicated storage device for the OS?

I'm building a new PC and already have a 2TB PCIE 3.0 NVMe to put in it. This card was a gift and I have no experience with NVMe, and this is my first build in several years.

Should I buy a 2.5" SSD for the OS, because its better to have the OS on a separate device, for either performance or stability reasons?

Otherwise, I'd forgo another SSD for now, install the OS and all other programs/games on the NVMe (pics and such will go on dedicated HDD), but plan to add another NVMe or 2.5 down the road, for increased capacity.

So its just a question of whether its better to segregate the OS or not, when using an NVMe (or just generally)? Because if yes, then i'd rather do it up front.

Thanks!

EDIT: I do understand that a smaller drive space can be better for imaging an OS backup, but that's not important to me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
You are missing a key point. You want Windows installed on the fastest drive which is the NVMe. The SATA SSD would be best as additional storage if required.
Hi All,

I'm building a new PC and already have a 2TB PCIE 3.0 NVMe to put in it. This card was a gift and I have no experience with NVMe, and this is my first build in several years.

My question is: Should I buy a 2.5" SSD for the OS, because its better to have the OS on a separate device, for either performance or stability reasons? Is that true or no?

Otherwise, I'd forgo another SSD for now, install the OS and all other programs /games on the NVMe (pics and such will go on dedicated HDD), but plan to add another NVMe or 2.5 down the road. for increased capacity

So its just a question of whether its better to segregate the OS or not, when using an NVMe (or just generally)? Because if yes, then i'd rather do it up front.

Thanks!
You generally wanna get the fastest nvme you cam for you os because it will be the fastest simce it's directly linked to the mobo and ssd for games hdd for games

jackamo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks! I guess my only question was if its generally recommended to install the OS on a dedicated device or partition? Back in the day, that was generally the recommendation (what with spinning plates and multiple read heads, etc) , but now that solid state will be the main storage, I don't know.

Sounds like it doesn't matter, anymore. In which case, sounds like there is no reason to not just have 1 big, fast drive to start, then expand as needed.

To be clear, I don't mind putting in another drive now for the OS, if that's merited. I'd prefer to do it now, rather than later, and it would NOT be a 2TB drive.

So 1) add a 500gb 2.5 SDD for OS and core programs (not games) + 2TB NVMe + HDDs for simple file storage.

Or 2) stick with just the 2TB NVMe for OS/programs/games + HDDs for files, then add more 2.5 or NVMe as needed.

I'd only do #1 if there's a performance or stability reason, or some other good reason that I haven't considered.

Last edited:

jackamo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
If I did get a dedicated 2.5 SSD for the OS, are these good choices?

Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LRkj4D/western-digital-blue-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0a $65

Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1 $65

PNY CS900 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XshmP6/pny-cs900-500-gb-25-solid-state-drive-ssd7cs900-500-rb $50 (not sure why this one is so much less $)

jackamo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Thank you, sizzling! That's exactly the sort of question I suspected I didn't know to ask.

EDIT: re-reading, I now see that everyone else also offered basically the same advice, but I didn't understand. Thank you all.

In that case, keeping the OS and all else on NVMe (except files), until I need more space, is there any reason to partition off the OS? Def now sounds like not, but that's my last concern.

Last edited: