[SOLVED] Should I increase clock speed if temps are rising?

Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I currently have an i5-9400f (w/ stock cooler) in my PC and I have the turbo boost setting turned off in my BIOS which brings the clock speed down to base clock of 2.9GHZ. This keeps temps at around 65 degrees average while gaming, but it of course affects performance.

I mostly play E-Sports games (CSGO, Fortnite) in which I would like to get the most FPS as possible and the turning turbo boost off affects FPS quite a bit during playing. My question is, is it worth to turn on turbo boost and increase clock speed to 3.9GHZ which increases FPS and performance by A LOT?

But the problem with this is that the CPU temps average from 75-80 degrees during gaming with occasional one second spikes to 83 or 85 degrees.

Apr 4, 2020
Just a question, at what resolution do you play and what is the refreshrate of your monitor?
I actually have an old monitor from years ago which I haven't gotten rid of yet it runs at 1280x720@75Hz. But the weird thing is when I'm in game the resolution says 1280x720, but the resolution in nvidia settings is 1024x768

Here is the thing, you want 200+fps but your monitor can only show 75 per second, so your CPU is running like a robbers dog to produce FPS that your monitor can't show you. Any extra FPS over 75 are pretty well a waste of time, power draw and heat for your CPU. If you want high FPS gaming then get a good 1080p 144hrz monitor and blast away. The prices are really down now compared to a year or so ago.

OC'ing any Intel with the stock cooler is not advised as they are only made for light applications at stocksettings. If you want to OC then a better aftermarket cooler is really a must. Also your motherboard is a big factor as to determining if a decent and stable OC is possible.

Apr 4, 2020
Here is the thing, you want 200+fps but your monitor can only show 75 per second, so your CPU is running like a robbers dog to produce FPS that your monitor can't show you. Any extra FPS over 75 are pretty well a waste of time, power draw and heat for your CPU. If you want high FPS gaming then get a good 1080p 144hrz monitor and blast away. The prices are really down now compared to a year or so ago.

OC'ing any Intel with the stock cooler is not advised as they are only made for light applications at stocksettings. If you want to OC then a better aftermarket cooler is really a must. Also your motherboard is a big factor as to determining if a decent and stable OC is possible.
Yeah I understand the FPS and refresh rate stuff, but I am pretty sure that high fps at low refresh rate is still better than having the same frames as your refresh rate.

Also, this isnt an OC, its just a setting that came pre-enabled when i got the pc. Because with the setting off the CPU doesnt achieve speeds it is advertised to. So my question is should I play games at an average of 80 degrees with much better performance or sacrifice it for 60 degree average? Is 80 degrees safe or dangerous?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
80 degrees is a safe temperature. Especially because we are talking a 14 nm cpu here.
I would not limit myself to base frequency, because why would I?
@Schlachtwolf still got a very valid point here. If you want high refresh rate gaming maybe look out for a new monitor. 1080p 144hz 24" are really really cheap now.
I just recently got an AOC gaming 24G2U for my brother. Excellent value.
Another thing to consider is a solid cpu cooler like the Arctic Esports Duo 34.

Apr 4, 2020
80 degrees is a safe temperature. Especially because we are talking a 14 nm cpu here.
@Schlachtwolf still got a very valid point here. If you want high refresh rate gaming maybe look out for a new monitor. 1080p 144hz 24" are really really cheap now.
Yeah it's just cuz the PC is kinda new I'm not investing much more at the moment. But yes I want to get a better cooler and monitor for the future. Thanks for the tip though !

Apr 4, 2020
So I just turned my clock speed up and changed my fan curve slightly and while iwas sitting on my desktop i was on about 40 degrees. Is that alright?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I just turned my clock speed up and changed my fan curve slightly and while iwas sitting on my desktop i was on about 40 degrees. Is that alright?
You check your temps under load not sitting at desk top.

Buy a decent cooler for the processor. 80C just gaming is not something I would run my PC at for hours still in the safe range but to high for my liking.

You can't overclock a 9400F not a clue what the other posters are even talking about.

Over 60 FPS on a 60hz is not really wasted it still updates true positions more often.

Apr 4, 2020
You check your temps under load not sitting at desk top.

Buy a decent cooler for the processor. 80C just gaming is not something I would run my PC at for hours still in the safe range but to high for my liking.

You can't overclock a 9400F not a clue what the other posters are even talking about.

Over 60 FPS on a 60hz is not really wasted it still updates true positions more often.
Yeah true, I only had time to check temps while gaming for about 5 mins or so but i was reaching 70 degrees but im pretty sure it will go up when i play more. I assuming temps of 70-80