Question Should I increase overclock voltage ?

Nov 4, 2021
Hello. I am running 2 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960's and have recently decided to try my hand at overclocking to push their performance. I have achieved what I think is a stable overclock at +70MHz on the core and +700MHz on the memory. I have used this boost for 12 hours now and it seems to be doing just fine in my opinion as a begginer. My question stems from a YouTube comment section which got me a little concerned. The comment in question mentioned running in to BSOD frequently with similar clock speed boosts without increasing the voltage. I was wanting to know if this has any facts behind it and if I should be increasing my volatage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
There are lots of details involved including the overall hardware build/specs of your system.

One critical consideration is the PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

The PSU may or may not be up to providing any additional power demands.

If the system remains stable all may be well.

Keep an eye on temperatures and performance overall.

At the first sign of any problems, roll back the OCs. Hopefully all will remain well thereafter.

Be sure that all important data is backed up should some problem develop and the system does crash and likely to lose data.

Post your full system hardware specs and OS information. There may be following comments and suggestions.

Nov 4, 2021
There are lots of details involved including the overall hardware build/specs of your system.

One critical consideration is the PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

The PSU may or may not be up to providing any additional power demands.

If the system remains stable all may be well.

Keep an eye on temperatures and performance overall.

At the first sign of any problems, roll back the OCs. Hopefully all will remain well thereafter.

Be sure that all important data is backed up should some problem develop and the system does crash and likely to lose data.

Post your full system hardware specs and OS information. There may be following comments and suggestions.
My system is pretty old by todays standards, it was built by myself roughly 5 years ago. I've included the specs bellow but let me know if there's anything missing.

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S MotherBoard
Intel core (Devil's Canyon) i5-4690k @ 3.50GHz
2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 gaming 4GB
4x Corsair Vengeance pro series DDR3 @ 1600MHz - 4GB
RM850w 80 plus gold (Model No: CP-9020056-UK)
Windows 10 version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1288)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021
My system is pretty old by todays standards, it was built by myself roughly 5 years ago. I've included the specs bellow but let me know if there's anything missing.

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S MotherBoard
Intel core (Devil's Canyon) i5-4690k @ 3.50GHz
2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 gaming 4GB
4x Corsair Vengeance pro series DDR3 @ 1600MHz - 4GB
RM850w 80 plus gold (Model No: CP-9020056-UK)
Windows 10 version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1288)
I've actually rolled the clock speeds back a little and they're now sitting at 60MHz on the core and 600MHz on the memory due to a couple of crashes while playing. Speaking of playing, I've been putting it under some load while playing Hunt Showdown on pretty much high settings and temps sit stable at 70c with 95-100% GPU usage