[SOLVED] Should I index media I host via universal media server?

digidoggie18

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
I download a lot of actual movie and tv shows and I host to my ps4 using universal media server. I do this so that way when our internet goes down (and it does a lot), we still have movies we can watch. with that being said should I be indexing this drive? only things I have been able to pull up anywhere is about indexing websites. The drive I would be doing this on is a 10TB exos enterprise drive.

Last edited:
Solution
Mentioned media server seems one of external NAS boxes somewhere in your home. You already know where downloaded videos are so no reason to index anything. Indexing may make file search in networked NAS drive faster, but does not improve playback speed. And certainly does not improve network data transfer speed.
Mentioned media server seems one of external NAS boxes somewhere in your home. You already know where downloaded videos are so no reason to index anything. Indexing may make file search in networked NAS drive faster, but does not improve playback speed. And certainly does not improve network data transfer speed.

Reactions: digidoggie18
Solution

digidoggie18

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Awesome!! When i moved everything it messed up and defaulted all my settings. I had a heck of a time rebuilding the database so I turned it off. I didnt think it would do much but thank you for taking the time to respond. I will keep it off from here out as I want the files to appear as quick as they can. Turning off indexing seemed to help.

TRENDING THREADS