Should I install games on new hardrive or on OS Harddrive

davedurg09

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Ok so here is my problem / question.

I have a 3 to 4 year old 500gb harddrive in my PC at the minute not sure what make / model as im not in the house to check. I have just purchased a Samsung F3 1tb which has not arrived yet.

I was planning on wiping the 500gb harddrive and installing the OS on it and then use the Samsung F3 for music, videos, documents, games and all programs like winamp, origin, hamachi, etc.

I am assumming that the 500gb harddrive is going to be much slower than the new F3 and also may be approaching the end of its life (although havnt't had a single problem with it yet other than my OS is taking longer to load than it should), so should I install my OS on the new drive ? and if so would it be a good idea to also intstall games on the faster F3 also and then use the 500gb harddrive for music, documents, games and programs ?.

Just not sure what is the best way to go about it at the minute.

Raid 0 is out of the question due to the different harddrive makes / sizes and I dont have the money to buy a nother F3 at the minute (but I may end up doing this).

Any help would be much appreciated!!

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I'd install the OS + Programs on the faster F3 and Documents + Music on the slower 500GB.
Games depend on how much slower the other drive is. If the longer loading times will annoy you when gaming, put them on the F3.

That way the OS and all the programs you want to use will load quickly. Things like documents and music don't really need a fast drive. Documents are usually small and the only time you'd need a fast drive for music is if you were copying them onto something else.

If you think the drive is approaching the end of its life, make sure to backup the stuff on it regularly.

davedurg09

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Ok so I got home and checked and the 500bg harddrive Ive got is:

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM WD5000AAKS 7200rpm

I ran a health check and it passed it fine, so should I install my OS on this drive and use the new bigger F3 for the music, apps, games etc