Should I install Windows 7?

1337rofl

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Hello people.
I was wondering whether I should or shouldn't replace my good old XP with 7.
The main reason why I want to get Windows 7 is because it supports Directx 10.1 which is said to give a boost in performance while gaming.
Lately I don't play games much at all. Pretty much only Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Windows 7 requires more RAM than Windows XP.
50% of the people seem to say that performance wouldn't be affected, but the other 50% I asked claims that the more usage of ram will negatively affect (gameplay) performance.

My system: (Pretty shitty, don't need much better for my personal use tho)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3ghz, overclocked to 3.45ghz.
GPU: MSI GT210 silent 1GB. (Directx 10.1 compatible)
RAM: 1.5GB
Space on harddrive: 100GB.

So, get 7 for Directx 10.1, or will it just kill my performance?

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hello

So to get to the point. Your system is a nice artifact of Intel's legacy. Regardless it is a solid system. Upgrading to Windows 7 does NOT require more RAM than XP. In fact every system I have upgraded to Windows 7 the users instantly noticed the systems performance and response is much improved. Doesn't matter if you are gaming or using applications.

To make it very very clear: If you are having performance issues or utilizing more RAM in Windows 7 compared to XP then you are doing something wrong.

Additional edit: Windows 7 can also be customized to have a Windows XP theme and there are tons of add-ons out there that are ok in simulating the old Windows XP explorer.

Also Windows 7 uses a thing called Aero desktop that comes with all sorts of thigns to make things look "pretty" but you can turn those off and increase basic performance.

USAFRet

Titan
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3ghz, overclocked to 3.45ghz.
GPU: MSI GT210 silent 1GB. (Directx 10.1 compatible)
RAM: 1.5GB

A P4 with 1.5GB ram.
I'd wait to upgrade the OS until you can upgrade the whole thing. That is a pretty old PC.
Moving to Win7 won't make much difference.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Build a new system. That hardware, along with the operating system, is antique. Something will break before long. I've seen a good number of 8-10 year-old Pentium 4 systems break over the past couple of years. A motherboard component fails, HDD fails, etc.

1337rofl

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Yeah, I should indeed start to build my own rig very soon, but not until late this year as I'm very busy atm lol.
So, until about december, the only thing that Windows 7 could do is increase performance?

USAFRet

Titan

If it's working fine right now, I'd leave it until the total rebuild.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I would just keep an eye out for a sale on Windows 7 and buy it then. You can install it on your current rig then transfer the license later. At worse you have a 5-10 minute phone call with Microsoft's computer to transfer the license.

1337rofl

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
I don't expect better performance from 7, but from DirectX 10.1 which is not compatible with XP. And yes, 7 requires more ram than XP.. I checked the requirements. Does this mean that there will be less ram fort games? As some games seem to require more ram on 7.

So, upgrade for DirectX 10.1 or don't because games would need more ram?

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Yes, Windows XP recommends 128 MB of RAM. Windows 7 requires 1 GB. A Pentium 4 typically should have 1 GB of RAM. Windows 7 typically will perform better in cases 9/10 times. I personally have never seen a system not notice a boost in performance.

The others make a good point to just wait until you do everything at once and plan for that.