Should i install Windows Vista?

G

Soo my brother really likes Windows Vista and he wants me to install them in his laptop
but i heard that Windows Vista is not a good OS so i want to ask if its going to do good in the following things:
Playing Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Playing Lego Jurassic World
Playing Minecraft
Internet Browsing using Google Chrome
thats all he is using his laptop for
Thank you very much for taking your time and helping me!
Laptop specs:
CPU: Intel Core Duo 2,24 GHz
GPU: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Ram: 2 GB
Screen Resolution: 1336x768
456 GB of HDD Space

Solution
Vista was terrible. driver problems, OS problems, etc. if it's just the overall theme of Vista that he likes find him a Windows 10 theme that somewhat matches. there is no positive reason to run it.
even playing those low-quality games you will see an improvement with 7, 8.1, or 10. getting better performance consecutively.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Vista was terrible. driver problems, OS problems, etc. if it's just the overall theme of Vista that he likes find him a Windows 10 theme that somewhat matches. there is no positive reason to run it.
even playing those low-quality games you will see an improvement with 7, 8.1, or 10. getting better performance consecutively.

Solution

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Put simply, no. Apart from the obvious security implications of using an obsolete OS, there is also the fact that we're talking about Vista here - quite possibly Microsoft's worst OS ever, or maybe the second-worst after Windows ME.

It was slow even on hgh-end hardware (at the time, that meant 3.2GHz quad-core CPU, 8GB RAM and 10,000rpm hard drive, but my experiments have shown that it still feels sluggish on a Core i7 with 16GB and an SSD) and your brother's laptop is far from that. Windows 7 is your best bet - it runs well on modest hardware (I'd avoid the 64-bit version, though, unless you upgrade the RAM to 4GB or more) and isn't too "alien" to a Vista user. I'd probably hold off the Win10 update, though, unless you're feeling daring - I don't know how well it will work on hardware from around 2008.

G

Downloading Windows 8 or Windows 10 is not a choice because theres not GPU Drivers for Windows 8/10
my brother wants Windows Vista badly and when i say badly i mean really badly
its not because of the theme or anything its the entire OS he likes
i asked because he will only use it for those games and watching YouTube on the internet its not like he is going to use it for programs or anything advanced
so is this OS really that bad for this stuff?

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

Yes.

Install Windows 7, put a Vista theme on it, take out 1.5GB of RAM and swap the processor for a 1.2GHz Celeron and he won't be able to tell the difference. (For added realism, wave a magnet over the hard drive a few times to simulate the random long hangs.) Alternatively, just put a Vista theme on and he can pretend he's got an ultra-top-end Vista PC that goes really fast.

G

No i never use his laptop i have my own Computer
so i guess you are right he will have to deal with problems and at the end if the OS is that bad i can always install Windows 7
Thank you for your help anyways!

G

Nope. im just going to install Windows Vista and let him deal with all the problems so he can learn something from this mistake
At the end if the OS is that bad i can always install Windows 7
and as always, Thanks for the help everyone!

GameplayerFTW

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Don't ever, ever downgrade to Vista it is one of the worst operating systems ever to be made. The Wifi all ways drops and don't get me started with the lag. I recommend Windows 10 or Windows 7. Now Windows 7 is like Vista but better less laggy and just better in all ways. Windows 10 is the newest operating system and I personally love it .So there's my reply, Hope it helped. :)

G

This laptop refuses to run Windows 7 or any newer version
I did install Windows Vista and there was soooo many problems with it that i ended up installing Windows XP with the Security Update patch and everything goes flawlessly with no problems
I will leave it with Windows XP until my brother gets a new laptop

G

UPDATE: I was curious about why can't the laptop run Windows 7 anymore, apparently the hard drive was the problem
Now why older versions of Windows installed and worked fine on the old hard drive.
But with the new one the laptop seems to perform a bit faster
Maybe the hard drive was slowly dying?
i don't know but everything seems to be solved now