Question Should I just wait?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I don’t see the need for the X570 platform/cost. The 3000 series doesn’t have any useful overclocking headroom to utilise high end VRM’s.

I saw an interesting review where they put a 3900X on a cheap low end motherboard (can’t remember which) and it suffered no lost performance compared to a high end X570. Now this isn’t recommended, no idea how long the poor motherboard would last in that situation. However unless you want the other features of the X570 I see no good reason to justify the price premium.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Amazon has it listed....for lead time between one and two months!!

Regarding using a lower end mb, I did consider this, but thinking the price difference was less than$50, and if I ever want to upgrade the cpu down the road the mb would be a good fit....no?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Amazon has it listed....for lead time between one and two months!!

Regarding using a lower end mb, I did consider this, but thinking the price difference was less than$50, and if I ever want to upgrade the cpu down the road the mb would be a good fit....no?
CPU upgrade, who knows. From what I remember AMD committed to AM4 socket until 2020, I have seen nothing to confirm next gen is definitely still AM4.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hmm....good point, can you recommend any mb's? I am not a mb expert by any stretch.....as far as priorities, don't need WiFi and don't really care about RGB. I most probably will not overclock the CPU, but maybe RAM. I do need two NVMe slots.

thanks.

I would probably look towards the MSI motherboards. With BIOS flashback (+?) you could update a 400 series motherboard to a BIOS capable of supporting the 3000 series CPUs. Unsure of M.2 ports running off PCIe, but suspect you'd need to look towards the X470.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS