Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 2700x clocked at 4.0
MOBO: Asus Strix 270-F
RAM: LPX Vengeance 3000 MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G3
GPU: AORUS GTX 1070

I am seriously contemplating just buying a 3070 from Newegg. Yes, a $1,200 expense.

But should I just wait for the 4000x series to come out in Q3 2022? Or will it be even more expensive than the prices I am contemplating now with the current microchip shortage?

Any advice or knocking some sense into me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
If you have a need now, try to buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
Many games are more cpu limited than you might think.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited and a cpu upgrade is in order.
The next gen will come at a better price performance at list price.
But early adopters and speculators will bid the price up.
Keep trying the newegg shuffle for the card you want.
If the graphics card demand situation persists, perhaps the Intel graphics cards...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends how things are going with the GTX 1070. If you can afford to wait, it may be good. MSRP are on the rise as well, and anything that can outcompete the 3090/3080ti/3080 is not going to be a small piece of silicon. So we can expect those to be quite expensive regardless of shortages. The new mid-range has become way more than that as well. I would consider any of the 30 series cards high end, maybe excepting the 3050 if it ever comes out. They are cramming more and more VRAM in which is going to raise base costs as well.

If you are looking at Newegg, just keep hitting the shuffle, took me a few months, and I really wasn't after a 3080Ti, but I haven't regretted it so far. It was only $1400 (1500 after tax) if you want to put that in perspective. Getting a 3080 at retail price is way better than a scalped 3070.

It is impossible to predict what will happen with 4000 series regarding supply and pricing. Even if prices are similar to now what if it takes 6 months to get stock. Ultimately under normal conditions any gpu you buy will be outperformed by a similar priced gpu in 12 months time.

InvalidError

Titan
All indications so far point towards next-gen's 2-2.4X-as-fast GPUs carrying 30-60% higher MSRPs than current-gen stuff. What that means for street prices remains to be seen.

Is that worth waiting for? That is a personal choice. Me, I'm waiting for decent options to reappear in the sub-$200 space and that probably won't happen until 2023.

If you have a need now, try to buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
Many games are more cpu limited than you might think.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited and a cpu upgrade is in order.
The next gen will come at a better price performance at list price.
But early adopters and speculators will bid the price up.
Keep trying the newegg shuffle for the card you want.
If the graphics card demand situation persists, perhaps the Intel graphics cards due next year will change things.

Solution

Co BIY

Splendid
Any advice or knocking some sense into me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Are you going to use the card to accomplish professional work that moves you forward in your career and makes you money (that you can't already do with your 1070)?

If not then it is a probably a foolish waste of money on simple entertainment that is probably not the highest use of your time and is currently very highly priced.

You know it's true.

I'm not morally judging, just judging. You asked for advice and this advice is only worth what it's worth to you.