Should I Keep C-State, CPB and CnC On or Off on OC CPU

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Hello I just can't think a way around all of this, as I said in Title should I keep the
C-State OFF, and Core Performance Boost and the Cool n Quiet.
I am on ASRock B450M-Pro4 Mobo with Ryzen 5 1600x @ 4Ghz.
Ram is HyperX Predator Original frequency is 2400Mhz but I have it OCed @ 3000Mhz 16-17-17-17-39 / 51 etc.
I am asking this because I am obviously running an overclocked CPU, I know that these features
by default, if I am on AUTO no OCing, they should like save some power, not running at full speed and voltages when PC is idle, but as I said I am overclocked and I want to know from you guys what exactly these futures are doing and what is their purpose. Because when overclocked with these features especially with the C-State the CPU frequency and voltage are jumping all over the place and lowering but turning the C-State OFF helps to get more stable CPU freq., and voltage I can see that but as for Core Performance Boost and Cool and Quiet, I don't know? Although even with this all turned off the CPU freq. and voltage sometimes goes up and down, like 4ghz = showing on CPU-Z and HW Monitor 3990.8 Mhz after and they are like Minimum 3900Mhz and Maximum 4082 Mhz etc. Can any of you help me out figure this out, like does any screenshots of my BIOS will help, why are they going down and up, I run @ the moment @ 4000 MHz with 1.38250v. Please guy I need some help.

Here I'll add the whole PC specs.
(PSU) - Cooler Master B Series 600W
(MB) - AsRock - B450M-Pro 4
(CPU) - AMD Ryzen 5 1600x OC @ 4 Ghz
(COOLER) - Liquid Cooler - Maelstrom 120T Gamer Storm
(RAM) - Kingston HyperX Predator - 16GB - DDR4 OC @ 3000Mhz
(GPU) - GeForce Asus - GTX - 1060 6GB ROG Strix
(SSD) - Kingston - SSD - V300 - Series @ 120 GB
(HDD) - Western Digital Blue @ 1 TB - 7200 Rpms
(OS) - Windows 10 Pro - x64

Solution
For what i know C-state is an intel thing, where it goes around shutting down cores, reducing frequencies and voltages not only to save power while your cpu is under low load, but this also prolonges it's lifespan since it automatically undervolts your core, theres a lot of debate where it should be on or off for overclock, I say its supposed to work with it on, perhaps more extreme overclocks pushing things to the limit may benefits from this disabled as voltage variations may cause instability, but then we have load calibration...

well anywyas, cool n quiet, i think is the same thing but from amd, you're on a ryzen so thats your deal, leave it on unless you can clearly confirm its keeping your overclock from stabilizing, you dont...
For what i know C-state is an intel thing, where it goes around shutting down cores, reducing frequencies and voltages not only to save power while your cpu is under low load, but this also prolonges it's lifespan since it automatically undervolts your core, theres a lot of debate where it should be on or off for overclock, I say its supposed to work with it on, perhaps more extreme overclocks pushing things to the limit may benefits from this disabled as voltage variations may cause instability, but then we have load calibration...

well anywyas, cool n quiet, i think is the same thing but from amd, you're on a ryzen so thats your deal, leave it on unless you can clearly confirm its keeping your overclock from stabilizing, you dont want to be running at full blast and at full volts temps and all while you're, say... browing around X Vide... I mean, youtube.

Solution

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014

Well, I found my stable overclock so I guess I should turn the C-State on then like I do play games but when I play the games C-State could not lower voltages when the CPU is under load right? As for Cool N Quiet I really don't see any difference with it On or Off, I guess that feature is for AUTO like not overclocking your CPU ( giving certain frequencies and voltages ) and what about the Core Performance Boost I really cannot understand what is this and what is its purpose. Most overclockers are simply turning all these 3 stuff OFF. But I guess when you find your stable OC you can turn some stuff back just not to leave PC to run at full Voltages and to draw Watts from the wall for no reason. But in my case from all these 3 things off, what should I add back on.

Well, I'm not so sure how cool n quiet works on amd since i quit amd long long ago, regardless, what it should do is to relax your cores when the cpu is idle, but i dunno it exact mechanics, C-state will lower your voltages and frequency while your cpu is idle or under very low load, so while gaming its not gonna kick in as a general rule. Performance boost is likely to be same as intel turbo boost; an automatic overclock, so yes, turn it off, you want to overclock all manually.