[SOLVED] Should I keep i7 Nahalem around or toss it?

backonshore

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Got a socket 1366 i7 and 12 gigs of ram. 💩 (Mother board died, so I went to an i5 on z170 - even at over a 1GHz bump still feels like a downgrade).
I tried to sell it on Ebay a few times, and never got any bids. And it's pretty cheap now - maybe $40 for everything.

I dont have any projects in mind, but it's still really fast stuff. I can't just toss it!!!!

Solution
It's nearly impossible to find a working motherboard for those anymore, especially one that can OC. That, and the low stock frequency of Nehalem makes those CPUs so hard to sell that people just end up trashing them.
Got a socket 1366 i7 and 12 gigs of ram. 💩 (Mother board died, so I went to an i5 on z170 - even at over a 1GHz bump still feels like a downgrade).
I tried to sell it on Ebay a few times, and never got any bids. And it's pretty cheap now - maybe $40 for everything.

I dont have any projects in mind, but it's still really fast stuff. I can't just toss it!!!!
Make a key-chain.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There are lots of things to do with an old CPU. Set up a secondary rig or a file server or an HTPC. Build a basic PC for a family member. Heck, I embedded my first CPU, an Intel 8086, in resin as bit of tech decoration. (Techoration?)

backonshore

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
It's nearly impossible to find a working motherboard for those anymore, especially one that can OC. That, and the low stock frequency of Nehalem makes those CPUs so hard to sell that people just end up trashing them.
My mobo caught fire ;p Dont ask how ;p
If that hadn't happened, I would have probably been running it even now. It just felt so much snappier than much newer i5 running at much higher speed. Maybe it was the 8 cores vs 4 /shrug

Heck I'd keep it if it still worked, sometimes I do find cheapish x58 boards on ebay or marketplace, can use it for other things. I got a dual Xeon LGA 1356 system I use for stupid stuff like file sharing and a Minecraft server for my sister at one point.

I had a i7 920 system on a gateway x58 board, I liked that system, although the 920 at stock was kinda underpowered for the power the thing draws.