[SOLVED] Should I keep my 3000MHz CL15 kit or upgrade for Ryzen 7 5800X?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Hi!
I am planning a full new build for next year which features a Ryzen 7 5800X (Or a R9 3900X not sure yet), and a RTX 3080.
My current PC has a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (8GB x 2) 3000MHz CL15 kit yet I plan to upgrade to 32GB. My question is, should I get another kit as the one I have or sell it and get a new one? Maybe a 3600MHz CL16 or so, is the performance difference really worth the hastle?
Awesome day, and thanks for the answer.

Solution
Hi!
I am planning a full new build for next year which features a Ryzen 7 5800X (Or a R9 3900X not sure yet), and a RTX 3080.
My current PC has a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (8GB x 2) 3000MHz CL15 kit yet I plan to upgrade to 32GB. My question is, should I get another kit as the one I have or sell it and get a new one? Maybe a 3600MHz CL16 or so, is the performance difference really worth the hastle?
If you plan to upgrade to 32 GB, the best option is selling your 2x8 Gb, and buying a 32 Gb kit.
That is given the many reports, here on the forum, from people trying to use 2 different kits together. And this is also published by the RAM manufacturer themselves That would also be the case even...
Tough call, seeing as we don't have any memory scaling reviews to draw from on Ryzen 5000 yet....rest assured, those articles will come though, probably within the first week.

Then it's going to boil down to how much you could sell your existing kit for. And inevitably, you'll have to be the one to decide whether x% performance uplift in a,b,c use cases is worth the $y "hit" you'll take from selling your old kit for less than you paid for it.

Hi!
If you plan to upgrade to 32 GB, the best option is selling your 2x8 Gb, and buying a 32 Gb kit.
That is given the many reports, here on the forum, from people trying to use 2 different kits together. And this is also published by the RAM manufacturer themselves That would also be the case even if you try to by "the same" kit you have (which could perfectly be composed a different brand of IC, even if using the same part number - you would also need to match the revision number, which is never available if you do not have the sticks in hand).
Two different kits used together can results in several possible outcomes:
  1. everything works fine, at the published maximal speed
  2. they work together, but only at their slowest speed (aka 2133 MHz, usually)
3.the system works more or less, but is unstable, and you can literally spend days chasing the problems
4. the PC doesn't even boot

Solution