[SOLVED] Should I keep my H60 AIO?

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hello,

I've been having issues with my CPU and GPU temperatures when idle and was wondering if it would be time to get a new cooler or thermal paste.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 idles at ~52c and can get up to 79c when playing games like Apex Legends

GPU - Zotac 2060 Super Mini idles at ~48c (it was 38c previously but I don't know what happened) and gets up to 83c under load.

Should I get better thermal paste and see how this helps or should I look at other cooling options (hope I can get some recommendations if this is the case).

Thank you :)

Solution
Cpu doesn't idle at 56°C. At idle, amd shuts down all the cores except 1, so the entire load of what's going on in the background is piled up on 1 core. So it naturally has a larger load than what's on an intel which splits the load up on every core. The temp you see is just that 1 core, not the entire cpu.

Although 56 is high, even for that. Balanced against the fact the gpu has also gone up 10°C, I'd start by looking at your airflow. Namely is the dust filter at intake clean, is the gpu clean, is the radiator clean, or are they packed full of dust. Dusty components will also affect load temps, dust is an insulator and will prevent the heatsinks from effectively dissipating the heat.

The stock thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu is...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu doesn't idle at 56°C. At idle, amd shuts down all the cores except 1, so the entire load of what's going on in the background is piled up on 1 core. So it naturally has a larger load than what's on an intel which splits the load up on every core. The temp you see is just that 1 core, not the entire cpu.

Although 56 is high, even for that. Balanced against the fact the gpu has also gone up 10°C, I'd start by looking at your airflow. Namely is the dust filter at intake clean, is the gpu clean, is the radiator clean, or are they packed full of dust. Dusty components will also affect load temps, dust is an insulator and will prevent the heatsinks from effectively dissipating the heat.

The stock thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu is generally good for @ 4-5 years, so unless they are both that old, I'm doubting the paste on both decided to go bad at the same time.

Solution

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020

The stock thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu is generally good for @ 4-5 years, so unless they are both that old, I'm doubting the paste on both decided to go bad at the same time.

Ahh...sorry but I didn't know about that and thanks for clearing up the fact that the CPU isn't idle.

For my system, I have 2 ML140s in the front as intake, with 2 120mm fans on the top as exhaust (1 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 and the Corsair fan that came with the H60), and the H60 mounted on the rear paired with a ML120. My fans are all plugged into a fan hub, and I've set the fan curve to run at 30% when under 40c, 60% at 50c and 100% at 70c). My ambient temperatures are around 33c on average and I've recently cleaned the PC when installing the newer fans.