Should I keep my old Lian-Li case or start with a new case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PollyM

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
My desktop PC is dead, since it was built in 2008 I think it's time for a new one. I want a good Workstation with an Intel i7.

I have a Lian-Li PC-V1000A Plus-II Mid Tower Case. It has 6 int 3.5", 4 ext 5.25" bays. It's ugly but I'm used to it. The front USB ports are USB 2 and it looks like the design of the case may limit my choice of power supplies by size.

Should I keep this case (to save a little money) or should I start with a new case? If I should start new, what brand should I look at? I want something with enough room, not a knuckle-scraper.

Thanks for any advice, I've never built my own before!

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Uhhh do you by any chance live in southern California? Some of us (freaks!) love those cases.

The V1000-series is kind of a "they don't make them like this anymore" deal. You'd be hard-pressed to find a similar-quality all-aluminum case that isn't similar. For practical purposes, though, you could get a different case with better ports and quieter operation. Edit: oops! I checked and they still have the V1000LB. So I guess I'm being over-dramatic, and they do make them like that, now!

For a slightly newer (USB 3.0) and more acclaimed case, you could try the Silverstone FT02. It's very similar to the V1000, has a lot of drive bays, but the vertical airflow is cool and the exterior is a little nicer. The FT05 is also worth a look if you don't need as many drive bays, though it may be more difficult to find.

The new Lian-Li cases are pretty nice, if you don't mind lots of glass. You could look at the O11 WGX or its lower-cost variants.

Fractal Design's Define R6 series is the go-to option for an unobtrusive workstation. They're a Swedish company, with a pretty nice traditionally holistic design. The interior is intuitive, roomy, and everything but motherboard installation is tool-less. I don't know if it's included by now, but when this case first launched you could order a front panel with USB Type-C, assuming you have the header.

You can look at Corsair (particularly the 400Q and 600Q) for similar ease-of-build, though their lineup is more diverse and thus harder to parse.

Hope this helps.

PollyM

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

LOL! No, I'm not in southern California but I do kind of like this case. I thought it was obsolete and I'd run into a lot of trouble trying to work with it.

That's gorgeous! Maybe I could paint mine black?

Seriously, is it possible for me to change those front USB ports to USB 3? Are there any other problems with my old case that will limit what I can do?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look at them. I'm leaning towards keeping my case, I've been pricing what I need to put in it (motherboard, processor, graphics card) and I'm surprised at how expensive it all is. I thought prices had come down over the last ten years.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished

It's still fully ATX-compatible, so you're probably good! You already mentioned PSU dimensions, and that's the only technical limitation. Whether it proves practical depends on your hardware. Do you have to install multiple GPUs and/or CPUs? If not, you'll be able to find a perfectly capable ~160mm-long unit.

If you know someone with access to powder-coating equipment, that would look Real Good. And there's alway spray paint.

I found a USB 3.0 panel that looks right, but doesn't list the V1000A as compatible. It still, semi-hilariously, has a FireWire port. This site has a at least a dozen other old and new Lian-Li I/O kits which I, for all my Lian-Li-coveting, find mildly disturbing but one of them might be right.
http://

What are you doing with this build? I can try to put together a PCPartPicker list if you like. CPUs are pretty competitive right now, but memory is really inflated. If you didn't know, there was a huge GPU-mining bubble that burst a few months ago and prices are still a bit weird for gaming cards.

PollyM

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

That Ports kit is perfect! The picture they show is upside down but it's exactly like what I have in my case. I'll buy that for the USB 3 ports. I never used the FireWire port, so having a new one is okay with me.

No, I don't know anyone who does powder coating but that would be awesome! I'll just leave it as it is, I've always liked the clean aluminum look of it. And like I said, I'm used to it! And nobody else (that I know) has one like it and I like that.

I don't need multiple CPUs or GPUs. My original system had three hard drives, an 80GB for the OS and two 250GB in a RAID-1. I've replaced the OS HD with a SSD so I could upgrade from Win XP to Win 7/64 bit. If possible, I'd like to keep the drives - or maybe replace the RAID-1 drives (they are 10 years old, after all), I think there's a way to replace them one at a time, so they get copied from the originals to the new drives?

That would be GREAT!! There's so much that I don't know enough about. I use VMWare Workstation and Linux VMs. I have two 23" monitors so I need a GPU with dual connectors for them. I'd like an Intel i7 and as much memory as I can get and room for more when the prices come down again. I write a little programming and some of it gets into some math. And I have a pretty big database. And I like to keep a system for a long time, so I'd rather have more than I need now, if that makes sense.

I replaced the CD/DVD drive and fans a couple years ago, at the same time I upgraded the OS HD to a SSD. I think I need a motherboard, CPU + cooling, GPU, and power supply (The compartment for the PSU is 6.5"w x 4"h. The original PS is a Coolmax CR550B and that has gone bad). Then new drives for the RAID-1. And I'll get that ports kit to replace the front ports. Am I missing anything?

I do know about the GPU inflation. I wanted to try running WinMiner but then my desktop died and when I tried it on my laptop, it got really hot. I had wanted to try mining a few years ago but things were changing really fast in mining hardware (it seemed like mining rigs were always sold out and then they'd get more expensive and making one yourself was already impossible/impractical).

Thank you!

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Here's a build using an eight-core Intel HEDT (High-End Desktop) CPU, which supports 128GB of DDR4:
And a version with a mainstream six-core i7 that supports 64GB and is ~$200 cheaper:

I remember getting a second 8GB DDR4 kit in 2016 for $33... oh, well!

The i7-7820X has been out for over a year, so it's a little old I guess. I can't really imagine Intel coming out with anything better and cheaper in before the end of the year. AMD is a better option for pretty much anything other than virtualization. Worst-case scenario, you spend an extra hundred dollars to have an eight-core now.

If you don't mind buying used and want All the Memory for peanuts, you can look for an LGA 2011 server board + Xeons on eBay. Used DDR3 ECC is like, three bucks per gigabyte. That's maybe a bit silly--especially if you need this PC for work--but it's an option.

Noctua coolers are comparable to other high-end air coolers and midrange liquid coolers. I like them because they're incredibly easy to install--especially considering the size and weight.

WD Red drives are made for NAS use, but they're really just quieter, more resilient desktop drives. They have TLER and a couple other server-drive-y features.

If you feel like a completely fresh start, nice SSDs are pretty reasonable. The 256GB Intel 760p and HP EX920 cost about $85. They use NVMe and PCIe with an M.2 connector instead of AHCI and SATA. SSD prices are supposed to drop (possibly dramatically) later this year, due to a flash surplus.

The Silverstone PSU there should be small enough, even with its modular connectors.

I forgot to ask your budget, so I hope I didn't go over (or way under).

Edit: do your monitors have only DVI ports? If so, you'll probably need a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, because not many new graphics cards have more than one DVI port. An Nvidia GTX 1050 would be good, but might be overkill if you never run any 3D apps or upgrade to higher-resolution monitors.

PollyM

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

Thanks, I just watched a video on Amazon on the Deepcool Quadstellar. It's amazing but I don't think I'd ever get anything done, I'd be mesmerized by the light show on the case!

I think I'll be better off putting all the $$ I can into the components. I want something that will last a long time.
But I do thank you for the thought, looking at all those cases has made me more sure of my decision, and that's a good thing. And now I've seen some things that I didn't even know existed, which is always very good.

PollyM

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

My monitors have DVI and VGA ports. I've used different monitors with one on DVI and one on VGA and never saw much difference. Remember, mostly I work in text. Sometimes I'll watch videos but I'm more likely to use my laptop for that, sitting at my desk is for "work".

Neither of the builds has a GPU card. I thought the prices were good until I realized that but I was looking at GTX 1060 and above because I really don't know anything about them. I'd also picked an Asus MB with SLI support just because the other one said "Gaming" so I thought it wasn't for me! Now I'm feeling overwhelmed. I like the Asus build because my dead system has an Asus MB (the P5K) and it's worked hard for 10 years (and might still work with a new PSU).

So which GPU? Adapter? I'm hoping to order everything from one place before the end of the month to get the best financing deal I've found.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Ah, yeah, lots of motherboards are labelled "gaming" or "extreme overclocking" but it's mostly marketing. A good "gaming" motherboard is also a good motherboard for everything else. SLI is unnecessary, though.

Sorry, I forgot to add it to the build. You probably only want a GTX 1050, or even a GT 1030.
1050: http://
1030: http://
The 1030 i linked actually just has two DVI ports, so...

This adapter looks fine: http://

Here's the list with a GPU: http://
You can set PCPartPicker to only show prices from one place.

PollyM

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

Thank you again! Now I understand the DisplayPort, I have to look all these new things up. That's the trouble with not buying a new PC for ten years, everything changes! ;-)

Yeah, I've been intimidated by anything labeled "gaming" - like that's only for people who know what they're doing, that's not for me. I did look up SLI, I knew I wasn't going to install multiple GPUs so I didn't need that.

I'm going to go over it again tomorrow, read some more about the components (things like SSDs vs HDs, GPUs, copying a RAID-1, etc) and then hold my breath and place my order(s)!

Thank you again, I'll let you know if I manage to put it together or if I have to hire somebody! I'm betting on me but having my husband unscrew the old things doesn't count. After so many years, I expect some of the screws are pretty close to welded.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
No problem! Things move a bit slower now, which I'm sort of glad to see.

Here's an old-but-good primer on SSDs: http://
It's kind of gratuitously long, but skimming it should give you a good idea of the difference. Anandtech also does a roundup of recommended SSDs every quarter or so.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.