Question Should I keep my ram?

Jul 7, 2019
I currently have 1 8gb dell 2400mhz stick and 1 8gb corsair vengeance 2400mhz stick. i want to buy a new motherboard and i don't think the dell stick will work. i'm gonna buy the ryzen 3600. should i get a full 16gb set of 3200mhz ram or one stick of 2400mhz ram. will the performance of the 3200mhz ram be worth the extra money?

InvalidError

Titan
You can get 10-15% extra peformance from faster memory on Ryzen CPUs.

Keeping in mind that mixed memory may not work properly without some added fiddling and possibly further de-tuning, new RAM would be your best option for a trouble-free upgrade. You can still try your old RAM first and upgrade RAM later.

InvalidError

Titan
CPU temperature depends on the load, liquid cooler, air temperature and flow rate going through the cooler, etc.

Personally not a fan of liquid cooling since it introduces multiple extra points of failure (risk of leaks, dead pump, stalled pump, gradual coolant loss through micro-leakes and osmosis, etc.). I prefer dumb old HSF that can still do a decent job even with dead fans or no fan at all as is currently the case with my i5-3470 under a 212+.