[SOLVED] should I keep my Ryzen 5 2600x or go for I7 9700k

Spuz94

Reputable
Aug 16, 2020
Hello, this is my first time here and I have a kind of a silly question, I recently saw the last gen intel on sale and was doing some digging and talking to some people and I wanted to know if it was worth it to go from my current set up to something like the i7-9700k I know I would need a new board but would i need to change more or keep some what I have I'll list what i have:

cpu; Ryzen 5 2600x
Mobo: asus prime x470-pro
ram; XPG DDR4 D60G RBG 16GB 3200MHz
PSU:EVGA 600W GD 80+
Video card;GTX 1660 MSI Gaming X
and for cooling I just have a custom loop

What i was looking at was;
I7 9700K with the asus prime Z390 A

I can get the Board for under $200 and where I am the CPU ins on for $429.99 CA is it worth it?

I heard intel is better for gaming and thats kind of what I'm leaning towards and just to have something for longer term/life. Only reason why I got the Ryzen was on sale for really cheap and at that time I was and still am pretty fresh in the market and they "recommended" it.

Solution
Keep the 2600x. Unless you must have the extra fps in less demanding games like csgo or r6, then yeah go for the intel. In other games, the difference is smaller. Keep in mind, when i say difference, that is like on top of the hundreds of fps you already get. You can oc the 2600x for extra performance. With your gpu, it's unlikely you'll able to push games like modern titles until cpu starts to take a hit.
if i were you i would stay with ryzen.
Next gen ryzen is coming soon and your x470 will likely support it after a BIOS update.
If somehow your mobo doesnt support next gen ryzen then i would go for 9700k.
So again,i would buy the next gen ryzen cpu if your motherboard supports it (it likely will),and if not i would go for z390 and 9700k

poorbugger

Distinguished
Keep the 2600x. Unless you must have the extra fps in less demanding games like csgo or r6, then yeah go for the intel. In other games, the difference is smaller. Keep in mind, when i say difference, that is like on top of the hundreds of fps you already get. You can oc the 2600x for extra performance. With your gpu, it's unlikely you'll able to push games like modern titles until cpu starts to take a hit.

Solution