[SOLVED] Should I keep or replace Powersupply?

D

Deleted member 2730916

I built my computer in 2015:

CPU: i5 4690k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: Hyperx DDR3 8GB

GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2GB V-RAM

PSU: Corsair CX 500 Watt Powersupply

Storage: 1 TB Western Digital

I decided that I wanted to upgrade my GPU because I feel that my 960 doesn't keep up that well with modern games. Then a thought popped into my head, "Will my PSU support this new GPU that I want to get?" so I went I asked a lot of people and the majority said that my PSU would be fine. Even the minimum requirements for the GPU I was looking to purchase said 500 Watts, but as a precaution, I look through the power supply section on tomshardware.com and I click on the main post and see this:

"The orange and black label VS models and the green and black label CX models should be avoided. Completely. Currently we just cannot justify using one of these units. The track record is terrible and if you have one, especially if it is more than a year old, it is probably either already failing or if you are having problems, is likely the reason why. If you don't already have one, avoid them "

The CX model is the one I have. Apparently, the exact model PSU I have is horrible but I've had it for 5 years and it is still working fine and the author of that post said that my PSU would probably fall apart after a year. My question is should I buy a new PSU and a worse GPU or just buy a GPU and keep my CX500?

Solution
that PSU is out of warranty, its 5 years old and a new GPU would demanding more power than it currently can provide. I had the CX 600 and while its not complete garbage like a raidmax unit, there are much better units, the new CX is much improved.

take no chances with a PSU, a failing PSU can take everything connected with it.
the PSU is the most important part in the PC, it feeds everything. do not skimp.
I'd rather get a less powerful GPU than a crap supply

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
that PSU is out of warranty, its 5 years old and a new GPU would demanding more power than it currently can provide. I had the CX 600 and while its not complete garbage like a raidmax unit, there are much better units, the new CX is much improved.

take no chances with a PSU, a failing PSU can take everything connected with it.
the PSU is the most important part in the PC, it feeds everything. do not skimp.
I'd rather get a less powerful GPU than a crap supply

Reactions: King_V
Solution
I built my computer in 2015:

CPU: i5 4690k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: Hyperx DDR3 8GB

GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2GB V-RAM

PSU: Corsair CX 500 Watt Powersupply

Storage: 1 TB Western Digital

I decided that I wanted to upgrade my GPU because I feel that my 960 doesn't keep up that well with modern games. Then a thought popped into my head, "Will my PSU support this new GPU that I want to get?" so I went I asked a lot of people and the majority said that my PSU would be fine. Even the minimum requirements for the GPU I was looking to purchase said 500 Watts, but as a precaution, I look through the power supply section on tomshardware.com and I click on the main post and see this:

"The orange and black label VS models and the green and black label CX models should be avoided. Completely. Currently we just cannot justify using one of these units. The track record is terrible and if you have one, especially if it is more than a year old, it is probably either already failing or if you are having problems, is likely the reason why. If you don't already have one, avoid them "

The CX model is the one I have. Apparently, the exact model PSU I have is horrible but I've had it for 5 years and it is still working fine and the author of that post said that my PSU would probably fall apart after a year. My question is should I buy a new PSU and a worse GPU or just buy a GPU and keep my CX500?
The foundation of a reliable system is a good quality power supply. I don't see anywhere in your OP stating what your GPU upgrade will be so I can't make a recommendation for a new PSU, but just because you've been somewhat lucky until now with your old PSU does not mean your luck will continue.

500w is "fine" for most graphics cards.

Older Corsair CX were not great upon release and now that yours is 5 years old, I would definately concider a replacement. After 5 years, I would replace most lower end power supplies when upgrading GPU.

You may be able to get away without it depending on the new GPU, but IMO its not worth the risk when a new PSU isn't a ton of money.

Cannot make a recommendation on PSU without knowing what card you will upgrade too.

D

Deleted member 2730916

500w is "fine" for most graphics cards.

Older Corsair CX were not great upon release and now that yours is 5 years old, I would definately concider a replacement. After 5 years, I would replace most lower end power supplies when upgrading GPU.

You may be able to get away without it depending on the new GPU, but IMO its not worth the risk when a new PSU isn't a ton of money.

Cannot make a recommendation on PSU without knowing what card you will upgrade too.
I was going to get a RTX 2060 if I didnt get a PSU, but now im probably gonna get a 1660ti or a 1660 super with the PSU.