Question Should i keep using my 2080 super or upgrade?

Jul 16, 2022
If i do upgrade, any specific card with his setup?
I have a i9-9900K
16 GB corsair vengeance@3200mhz
2080 super

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is no real point in upgrading your gpu right now you have basically the best one the CPU can keep up with you go any higher in quality and you will basically lag the card with the CPU the computer is running
Sorry, but that's complete manure. Gpu requirements depend on 2 things. First being workload, second being user preference.

1. Workload consists of (for games) fps vs resolution of the monitor. If you are on 1080p upto @ 144Hz there's pretty much no need to upgrade, the 2080Super isn't really going to be stressed by anything graphically. If you are at 4k, that's a different story, games like Cyberpunk 2077 and CoD etc with uber high realism and lighting detailing are going to dump the fps in the toilet.

2. That leaves user preference, which includes 1440p use, since 60Hz shouldn't be much of an issue, but 144Hz can be, so that's on the user to figure out whether to drop detail levels or get a stronger gpu. Some users simply prefer never to have to worry about anything and buy bigger than they realistically need at that point in time and call it 'future proofing'.

You can run a 12900k with a GT1030, if all you do is office work and watch youtube or movies. You can run a 10400f and 3090Ti if gaming at 4k/5k standards. There's no set point where a 9900k and 2080 Super is "basically the best one the CPU can keep up with". That's as bogus a statement as a bootleneck calculator comes out with.

@Ljb2148 Nobody can advise you whether to upgrade or not with the info shown. There needs to be more. It'll be on you to decide whether or not fps is being affected by the gpu because of the detail levels and games you play, according to the resolution you use. If you are on a 1080p monitor, there's no need to upgrade, only a possible want. If gaming on a 1440p/144Hz monitor and not getting anywhere close to 144Hz, but dropping detail levels gets you closer, then maybe an upgrade would get you there at the levels you want. If gaming with a 4k monitor, then yes, an upgrade would be advisable as you'll generally be in the 20fps to 40fps ranges unless playing at low settings.

Without knowing the what and why the gpu is doing, blanket statements are meaningless.

Last edited:
You've got a great setup, really no point in going to anything higher at this time... the next series of cards might be interesting. As 4 and 7 series from NV and AMD are being released very soon they might present something of interest.

As you go up in resolution cpu power doesn't matter as much... meanwhile the 9900k is an excellent gaming cpu @ any resolution.
If you chose to go up in resolution the strain moves to the gpu, so you might want a 4070 or better even then your cpu will remain more than competent for this task.

Kanja007

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2013
I would suggest holding the horses until Nvidia unveils the new RTX 40 Series. Then you would have more choices for an upgrade. 2080 Super still has a lot of juice, I have many friends still keeping a 1080ti and loving it.

Reactions: Ljb2148
Jul 16, 2022
I'd reverse the question. Why would you be upgrading? What are you specifically not able to do or what performance level are you not able to reach that cannot be done on a 2080 Super?

Just don't wanna fall behind in the GPU department. Still runs games on all my settings great I think. Just didn't know if an upgrade was necessary or just wait for 4000 series. I appreciate all the responses.

Just don't wanna fall behind in the GPU department. Still runs games on all my settings great I think. Just didn't know if an upgrade was necessary or just wait for 4000 series. I appreciate all the responses.
Really it’s only something you can answer. If the gpu is meeting ‘your’ needs then no need to upgrade. People have different expectations from their gpu, what works for one person won’t work for another.

Personally I had a 2080S running 1440p 144Hz and wanted to run very high settings in most of my games and achieve 140fps. I found in several games I needed to compromise on settings more than I liked. I was lucky and picked up a 3080 at launch and was pleased with boost. However, someone who was ok dropping settings, running say 1080p 144Hz or happy with 100fps would very likely not have needed to upgrade.

Reactions: Ljb2148

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can't ever 'fall behind' as such. It's a personal thing. Either the gpu can do what You need it to do, or it can't. It's not a race or competition where you must match other people or their expectations.

If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin. I'm running a 2070Super at 1080p without a single issue in any game I play, at max settings.

Jul 16, 2022
You can't ever 'fall behind' as such. It's a personal thing. Either the gpu can do what You need it to do, or it can't. It's not a race or competition where you must match other people or their expectations.

If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin. I'm running a 2070Super at 1080p without a single issue in any game I play, at max settings.

I just wanna run the new games without a hitch I guess. Just got done playing cyber punk 2077 and everything was fine on high settings. I'll probably wait to upgrade a few yrs then. Thanks

WallysWorld

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
If i do upgrade, any specific card with his setup?
I have a i9-9900K
16 GB corsair vengeance@3200mhz
2080 super
I have virtually the same system as you: same processor, same RAM, but I used to have a 2070 Super. When I went to a 1440P monitor, the 2070 Super struggled in some games and I didn't want to turn down the graphic settings so I ended up getting a RTX 3080 Ti and the difference was very noticeable. When the 2070 Super would struggle putting out 60 fps with a game at 1440P at ultra settings, the 3080 Ti can run it in the high 80's to as high as 144 Hz. So your i9-9900k will handle an RTX 3000 card easily.