Question Should I keep using my laptop after what seems to be a short circuit?

Nov 23, 2020
2
0
10
0
I've been using my laptop (HP Omen 15-AX033DX) a lot connected to the AC for hours the whole week, yesterday it suddenly turned off. Tried to turn it on a couple of hours later and it worked.

With the laptop turned on I connected the charger again and the laptop immediately turned off and something smelled burned so I left the laptop off for a while.

A couple hours later tried again and did a component test that's built in into the HP Assistant and everything seemed to work fine, connected the AC again and seems like it's charging as usual.

I also tested the charger and it's working fine, could be the battery causing a short circuit as the battery was already low on capacity and was about to be changed anyways or somewhat stressed for being connected almost the whole day?

I'm just worried, am I safe using the laptop as normal or do you guys think something happened?
 
I suspect your laptop overheated and shut down.
Gaming laptops are notorious for heat problems.
They have coolers that must be small and light. The coolers are not very efficient.
See that your airways are clear of dust.
Reducing the maximum cpu performance level from 100% to 99% may solve your issue.
The smell is bothersome, but what can you do?
 
Reactions: cloudx5
Nov 23, 2020
2
0
10
0
I suspect your laptop overheated and shut down.
Gaming laptops are notorious for heat problems.
They have coolers that must be small and light. The coolers are not very efficient.
See that your airways are clear of dust.
Reducing the maximum cpu performance level from 100% to 99% may solve your issue.
The smell is bothersome, but what can you do?
Thanks for the reply, I just want to be sure. I was thinking about going somewhere to have it checked but I'm really avoiding that as this is the worst timing possible, need the PC to finish this quarter in college.

What do you think that could cause the smell though? I'm worried that's some sort of protection and if it happens again could damage the entire laptop.

But if it's fine I might just use it to do the finals and then go somewhere to check it later.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS