[SOLVED] Should I Leave Two RAM Channels Empty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
So as a preface, I have a Ryzen 5 2400G. I bought the CPU really early, before any real compatibility specs were available. So in the build I used the 2400G with 16 GB of DDR4, 2133MHz. That's been working ok, but in ram intensive programs, my PC starts having memory issues. I know that it's because Ryzen officially only supports >=2400MHz Ram speed.

So I bought new ram yesterday and I wanted to upgrade to 32 GB(Because there's no way I'm buying new ram for the ram speed increase alone). My motherboard is an ASrock AB350M Pro4 with 4 channels, but it was actually 20$ cheaper to buy a 2x16GB kit as opposed to a 4x8GB kit. I like that I now have the option to go for 64GB in the future, but I feel really weird about leaving 2 of my ram channels empty.

Is there anything I should be concerned about, any factors I might've missed?

Solution
Do not feel weird about two empty slots.

Never let form get in the way of function.

If the system is working well as is with 32 GB then just let the "weirdness" go.

And someday if it is proven that 64 GB is truly worthwhile then you have two slots in reserve.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not feel weird about two empty slots.

Never let form get in the way of function.

If the system is working well as is with 32 GB then just let the "weirdness" go.

And someday if it is proven that 64 GB is truly worthwhile then you have two slots in reserve.

Reactions: N3wb13g
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So in the build I used the 2400G with 16 GB of DDR4, 2133MHz. That's been working ok, but in ram intensive programs, my PC starts having memory issues. I know that it's because Ryzen officially only supports >=2400MHz Ram speed.
Out of curiosity, what sort of applications are you running that require >16GB of RAM? What sort of "memory issues" were you having? Running RAM slower than the rated speed shouldn't cause any issues, other than overall performance being lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS