[SOLVED] Should I mount PSU with fan placing Up or Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

atinesh.s

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Hello guys, I am upgrading my PSU to RM 750 from VS 450

Earlier I have placed PSU with fan placing up and it has got some dust build up which is difficult to clean. Which way you people suggest “PSU: Fan placing up” or “PSU: Fan placing down”

Case : Corsair Spec 01

Solution
It's all a user decision. In the end, a dust filter is just that, a filter. In order to be effective it has to have a small diameter mesh, but also has to have a large enough mesh not to hinder airflow to any ungodly degree. Dust however, isn't all one size, there are microfine particulates that do get through and necessitate the cleaning of a pc at regularish intervals. So dust is going to get into the psu regardless of orientation, it'll collect dust from the pc intakes or the filter underneath.

The difference is the location of said dust. With fan orientation up, dust will settle on the components, especially in a semi-passive unit where the fan runs at minimal times, if at all with the larger wattage units. With fan down, dust...
Some people mount it with the fan up, to create additional air flow from the case. However since you will be using the RM 750 that has a fan that doesn't spin until needed, ie a certain temperature is reached inside it, it will not really contribute to additional air flow.

Most people mount them with the fan facing down, especially if the case has a filtered intake where the PSU is mounted. With this mounting you have to make sure the air intake isn't hindered by something like a carpet.

Reactions: atinesh.s

atinesh.s

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Some people mount it with the fan up, to create additional air flow from the case. However since you will be using the RM 750 that has a fan that doesn't spin until needed, ie a certain temperature is reached inside it, it will not really contribute to additional air flow.

Most people mount them with the fan facing down, especially if the case has a filtered intake where the PSU is mounted. With this mounting you have to make sure the air intake isn't hindered by something like a carpet.

I have kept my Case on Table

It has a vent in the bottom of the case where the PSU sits. This is very common, probably nigh on universal for any semi modern case designed for a bottom mounted PSU.
Didn’t see any mention of this on Corsair’s website but found a YouTube unboxing that showed this. I’d still have the fan up as more dust is likely to accumulate under the case IMO. Either way it really wouldn’t matter.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh but that's the trick. Yes, you may get a greater chance for dust accumulation with the fan down, but over that fan vent is a dust filter that'll pick up most of it. And cleaning a dust filter takes seconds. With fan up, the psu is absorbing both filtered and non filtered air directly, some from the intakes, some from whatever floated past the exhaust fans last time the pc was turned off, whatever gets sucked in from the pci plugs and gaps at the rear of the case. With no protective filter intervention. So the psu takes the brunt of dust penitration.

Ahh but that's the trick. Yes, you may get a greater chance for dust accumulation with the fan down, but over that fan vent is a dust filter that'll pick up most of it. And cleaning a dust filter takes seconds. With fan up, the psu is absorbing both filtered and non filtered air directly, some from the intakes, some from whatever floated past the exhaust fans last time the pc was turned off, whatever gets sucked in from the pci plugs and gaps at the rear of the case. With no protective filter intervention. So the psu takes the brunt of dust penitration.
Right, but this case he’s talking about has vents only, no dust filter.

USAFRet

Titan
Right, but this case he’s talking about has vents only, no dust filter.
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...er-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011050-WW#tab-tech-specs
All of the pics of the case show the PSU with the fan down.

The user manual clearly shows a filter under the PSU space.
Dqt4Rzf.png

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...er-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011050-WW#tab-tech-specs
All of the pics of the case show the PSU with the fan down.

The user manual clearly shows a filter under the PSU space.
Dqt4Rzf.png
I’m glad you referenced the pictures and the orientation of the PSU. I looked at that myself and noticed I didn’t see a fan. Now look at the EXACT power supply itself in its product page and it shows the fan on top, on the same side as the connectors for the cables. Don’t know if this was a photoshopped image or special power supply but the PSU in the picture is actually oriented where the fan would be at the top, there’s just no fan.

USAFRet

Titan
I’m glad you referenced the pictures and the orientation of the PSU. I looked at that myself and noticed I didn’t see a fan. Now look at the EXACT power supply itself in its product page and it shows the fan on top, on the same side as the connectors for the cables. Don’t know if this was a photoshopped image or special power supply but the PSU in the picture is actually oriented where the fan would be at the top, there’s just no fan.
Top and Bottom of the PSU is irrelevant.
Which side the fan is on is the important part. That RM 750 has the printed label right side up with the fan facing up.
So what?
Have the printed label upside down, and the fan to the outside of the case, the bottom.

Unless that printed label offends the sensibilities.

Top and Bottom of the PSU is irrelevant.
Which side the fan is on is the important part. That RM 750 has the printed label right side up with the fan facing up.
So what?
Have the printed label upside down, and the fan to the outside of the case, the bottom.

Unless that printed label offends the sensibilities.
You missed my whole point. Look at the PSU in the product page of the Corsair spec 01. It’s a 550Rm now go to the product page of the Rm 550. You will notice the fan is on the side of the cable connectors. It is not on that side on the spec 01 product page. The fan is not on the bottom, it is simply not even there is my point. You said it’s facing down, it’s not. The fan, if it where where it’s supposed to be would be up. That’s why I said maybe its a photoshopped image.

USAFRet

Titan
Actually, the cable connectors are on the other side.
Case pic on the left, PSU pic on the right

3jA8drk.jpg

Flip the PSU over so that the fan is DOWN, and the cable connectors are along the top of the PSU.

'shopped, upside down label, whatever.
Where should the fan be? Inside the case, or facing outside?

Actually, the cable connectors are on the other side.
Case pic on the left, PSU pic on the right

3jA8drk.jpg

Flip the PSU over so that the fan is DOWN, and the cable connectors are along the top of the PSU.

'shopped, upside down label, whatever.
Where should the fan be? Inside the case, or facing outside?
I see. Lol. Where should the fan be placed? Wherever the individual that owns it wants to lol. I’d have mine facing up regardless. But down wouldn’t be an issue.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's all a user decision. In the end, a dust filter is just that, a filter. In order to be effective it has to have a small diameter mesh, but also has to have a large enough mesh not to hinder airflow to any ungodly degree. Dust however, isn't all one size, there are microfine particulates that do get through and necessitate the cleaning of a pc at regularish intervals. So dust is going to get into the psu regardless of orientation, it'll collect dust from the pc intakes or the filter underneath.

The difference is the location of said dust. With fan orientation up, dust will settle on the components, especially in a semi-passive unit where the fan runs at minimal times, if at all with the larger wattage units. With fan down, dust will settle on the lid, including the dust filter itself, and will be blown out the rear with fan operation.

Fan down will stay cleaner and probably thermally healthier for its entire life cycle, fan up takes its chances with dust being 'snow-drifted' at heatsink bases, where mosfets are attached, etc.

Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if the case allows it, put the fan facing down with its own dust filter

only if your pc has terrible airflow the fan should be facing up, of it you bought a psu with rgb leds and you want to see it and the case doesn't have a psu shield so you can see it

face down so it can work as effectively and quietly as possible

atinesh.s

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018

The difference is the location of said dust. With fan orientation up, dust will settle on the components, especially in a semi-passive unit where the fan runs at minimal times, if at all with the larger wattage units. With fan down, dust will settle on the lid, including the dust filter itself, and will be blown out the rear with fan operation.

Fan down will stay cleaner and probably thermally healthier for its entire life cycle, fan up takes its chances with dust being 'snow-drifted' at heatsink bases, where mosfets are attached, etc.
Its down then

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
even if it doesn't have any dust filters, if the case allows to put it facing down, i would put it facing down

the idea is that psu takes cold air from outside and pushes hot air in the back of the case, it shouldn't be helping the case in pushing the hot air from the case and make the psu work hotter than it should

Status
Not open for further replies.