[SOLVED] Should I OC my GTX 1080 with a 500W PSU

Jul 22, 2019
I just ran my computer's Benchmark and my Graphic Card performed way below expectations along with the entire PC itself. I was wondering to my self if it's worth it to overclock my graphics card to get that little boost so it doesn't under perform. I have a 500 Watt PSU and I'm not exactly sure if it would be the ideal choice due to the PSU bottleneck. Any recommendations on what I should do?

Solution
^
Look into the Seasonic Focus Plus range. Corsair's RMx range are also really good. I have a similar build (with the exception of the 2080Ti) to yours and I am running a 750W Focus Plus Gold from Seasonic; overkill it is but it will last for years to come.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I didn't even have to scroll past two of your components. How is this running on a 500W PSU?

I would be looking at high end 650 at least.

Go into BIOS and enable your XMP profile.
Check to see that you have the most modern graphics driver from Nvidia's site.
Close everything running in the background (18% is high)
run this test again

Jul 22, 2019
I didn't even have to scroll past two of your components. How is this running on a 500W PSU?

I would be looking at high end 650 at least.

Go into BIOS and enable your XMP profile.
Check to see that you have the most modern graphics driver from Nvidia's site.
Close everything running in the background (18% is high)
run this test again
Thank you I needed some feedback. Looking for a new PSU on amazon as we speak. I will also check for a new available driver as well run the test with no other processes. Means a lot thank you!

^
Look into the Seasonic Focus Plus range. Corsair's RMx range are also really good. I have a similar build (with the exception of the 2080Ti) to yours and I am running a 750W Focus Plus Gold from Seasonic; overkill it is but it will last for years to come.

Solution