[SOLVED] Should I overclock my CPU, GPU, or neither?

cblefty21

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Hey all, I just recently got a prebuilt gaming pc from NZXT. Their website said my components should be giving me an average of 189fps on Rainbow 6 Siege on Ultra Settings. I am not sure what’s wrong, but I am not getting that. I’d say i’m averaging more around 120-160. My question is, i’ve already tried numerous things to fix this issue, but could overclocking either component help?

CPU: i5-9600k
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Zotac

Solution
1. I have a 144hz monitor. I prefer capping the frame rate for a smoother experience, but when I uncap it, i’m averaging around 160 like I said. They do say that that fps value is guaranteed. And I’m not sure if I’m placeboing myself but I could’ve sworn this was not an issue until about a week ago. Like soemthing suddenly happened. I thought it could be a bad driver, but I did a complete factory reset. My PSU is Seasonic S12III 650W Bronze.

Well, before getting into anything else, I want to make sure one thing is clear.

The PSU is definitely S12III (Roman numeral 3 at the end), and not S12II (Roman numeral 2 at the end)?

While the latter is a good one, but more suited toward older systems, the former...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey all, I just recently got a prebuilt gaming pc from NZXT. Their website said my components should be giving me an average of 189fps on Rainbow 6 Siege on Ultra Settings. I am not sure what’s wrong, but I am not getting that. I’d say i’m averaging more around 120-160. My question is, i’ve already tried numerous things to fix this issue, but could overclocking either component help?

CPU: i5-9600k
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Zotac

1. Before even considering an overclock, I would want to know your exact brand and model of PSU.
  2. What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Is it exactly the same as the resolution they suggested that would get 189fps?
  3. Do you have Vsync on?
  4. I'm not entirely sure I'd trust their estimate in the first place, though.

cblefty21

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
1. I have a 144hz monitor. I prefer capping the frame rate for a smoother experience, but when I uncap it, i’m averaging around 160 like I said. They do say that that fps value is guaranteed. And I’m not sure if I’m placeboing myself but I could’ve sworn this was not an issue until about a week ago. Like soemthing suddenly happened. I thought it could be a bad driver, but I did a complete factory reset. My PSU is Seasonic S12III 650W Bronze.

Jan 31, 2020
Was just wondering how much of the 20fps will make a difference with your monitor that's all. Have you tried contacting NZXT? If it's a recent computer you should be entitled to a replacement. My guess is an underperforming GPU. But I wouldn't overclock anything until I've heard from who I've bought it off.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Well, before getting into anything else, I want to make sure one thing is clear.

The PSU is definitely S12III (Roman numeral 3 at the end), and not S12II (Roman numeral 2 at the end)?

While the latter is a good one, but more suited toward older systems, the former is crap. Get a new PSU! Seasonic's PSUs are mostly good, but (from the first link in my sig):
THAT being said, there ARE some units being sold with the Seasonic label that are NOT built by Seasonic. They use Seasonic designed platforms but are built by RSY. For now I believe these are limited to the S12III models, and they should be COMPLETELY avoided, because they are not good quality and in my opinion should not be allowed to carry the Seasonic name, but instead should have been relegated to the Hydrance or Energy power enterprise products which I understand are Seasonic subsidiaries that do not carry the Seasonic brand name. They are not good units based on reviews so far and should be avoided. If that changes based on new information then I will happily remove this paragraph but until then, stay away from them if you are expecting something that is "typical" of Seasonic. These S12III models, are not.

Aside from that, if your maximum refresh is 144Hz, then you will never, ever be able to see more than 144 frames/sec, even if your system can output more.

Solution
Jan 31, 2020
Aside from that, if your maximum refresh is 144Hz, then you will never, ever be able to see more than 144 frames/sec, even if your system can output more.
You should be able to notice a difference. Not sure how much on a 144Hz monitor tho if the GPU is putting out 160FPS. 160FPS is how fast the GPU can process the images while the image 'won't appear better' it will reduce the likelihood of any lag

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You should be able to notice a difference. Not sure how much on a 144Hz monitor tho if the GPU is putting out 160FPS. 160FPS is how fast the GPU can process the images while the image 'won't appear better' it will reduce the likelihood of any lag
The monitor cannot display more than 144 frames/second.

Therefore, if VSync is off, there will be tearing.

If VSync is on, then it's limited to 144fps.

Doesn't matter anyway, though - the human eye can't distinguish much more than, say, 100, if that. And certainly, even if the human eye and brain were capable of processing that quickly, the human body can't physically respond that quickly.

Jan 31, 2020
The monitor cannot display more than 144 frames/second.

Therefore, if VSync is off, there will be tearing.

If VSync is on, then it's limited to 144fps.

Doesn't matter anyway, though - the human eye can't distinguish much more than, say, 100, if that. And certainly, even if the human eye and brain were capable of processing that quickly, the human body can't physically respond that quickly.
There are adventages to running a higher frame rate than refresh rate.

Microstuttering becomes reduced at higher frame rates, since there’s less harmonic frequency effects between frame rate and refresh rate. Running at frame rates much higher than refresh rate, massively reduces microstutters caused by harmonics between fps and Hz.

And any input lag as mentioned before.

So the gpu should not be limiting out at a lower rate than guaranteed by the manufacturer. So while overclocking may work it seems that a component is not operating properly.