[SOLVED] Should i overclock my CPU

Ashley Knott

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Hello all.

I just wanted to ask should i overclock my CPU? I have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X on a ROG Strix X570-F motherboard. I use my PC for gaming.

Many thanks :)

Solution
With that chip, Overclocking really isn't going to get you much with how its boost works, You could get a bit more out of it by manually tuning it, but it wouldn't be much and hardly noticeable, On these new Ryzen stuff, I'd make sure ram in running where its rated to and leave it alone, You'd gain more by overclocking your graphics card.
Google overclocking Ryzen's, you'll see the consensus is to let PBO do it's thing. AMD overclocking days are gone. You get more performance trying to push your ram speeds.

But do you need to? I don't see it with a 3800x and 2070S at 1440p. It's a great gaming pc.

It used to be that with Intel processors when you bought a K chip you were leaving a lot of performance on the table by not overclocking. Now most newer processors are already just about clocked to their limit out of the box. So should you overclock? No. It's simply not necessary and there isn't much to be gained.

With that chip, Overclocking really isn't going to get you much with how its boost works, You could get a bit more out of it by manually tuning it, but it wouldn't be much and hardly noticeable, On these new Ryzen stuff, I'd make sure ram in running where its rated to and leave it alone, You'd gain more by overclocking your graphics card.

Solution