[SOLVED] Should I overclock the VRAM of My GT 1030

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
The VRAM of my GT 1030 is bottlenecking the performance significantly. When playing games like GTA V, I get 45 - 50 FPS on ultra settings and 720p, but my VRAM goes red which causes stutters on higher than playable FPS. When playing RDR 2, I get more than 35 in the jungle areas, but I can't increase the texture quality (Which had no difference on the performance when I enabled it from the config files).

Is it worth to overclock the VRAM? will it heat it up a bit? (My temps go as high as 65)

Solution
Overclocking vram will do no good, if you don't have enough of it.
You're running out of it. Reduce ingame graphics quality settings, reduce draw distance.

By overclocking vram you can kill your graphics card.
Your card probably doesn't have separate temperature sensors for vram monitoring. Only GPU core temperature gets monitored.
If vram overheats and fries, your card is dead.
Overclocking vram will do no good, if you don't have enough of it.
You're running out of it. Reduce ingame graphics quality settings, reduce draw distance.

By overclocking vram you can kill your graphics card.
Your card probably doesn't have separate temperature sensors for vram monitoring. Only GPU core temperature gets monitored.
If vram overheats and fries, your card is dead.

Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Is it the DDR4 version or the GDDR5 version? Trying to overclock either won't make a difference, but if you have the DDR4 version of the card, I feel sorry for you. Gamers Nexus did a review a while back, and Steve said Nvidia should have called it a 1020 instead of a 1030. That's how bad they are. Upgrading is going to be your only real choice for better performance.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Is it the DDR4 version or the GDDR5 version? Trying to overclock either won't make a difference, but if you have the DDR4 version of the card, I feel sorry for you. Gamers Nexus did a review a while back, and Steve said Nvidia should have called it a 1020 instead of a 1030. That's how bad they are. Upgrading is going to be your only real choice for better performance.
I got the DDR5 version. No graphics cards are available except the GT 710 at this moment, so I guess I can't upgrade