GuiltySpark

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I've just purchased components for my new computer build. I haven't ordered any RAM or a GPU yet but this is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel i7 920 D0

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

GPU: EVGA GTX 260

Power Supply: 750W TX Corsair PSU

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Hard Drive:

Opical Drive [url=http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Samsung-SH-S223F-BEBE-22x-DVDR-12x-DVDR-DVDplusRW-x8-RW-x6-SATA-Black-OEM]Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE

My question is, should I overclock my i7 920? Is it worth it? This is my first build and I don't want to break anything. I'm a lame cheap ass student and I can't afford to just buy another CPU if I fail.

How hard is it to overclock? Does anyone have any methods/tips/guides that they could share?

Just as a reference, I'm a confident computer user, my skills are probably nowhere near as developed as some of the users on this forum, but I'm doing my best to learn.

I understand that I will need an after market cooler or some kind to deal with the increased levels. Can anyone suggest one for the i7 920?

Many thanks for reading this somewhat n00bish post.

Cheers guys.

Should you overclock? Do you need to? If not, don't.

If you decide to, google something like "overclock i7" and "Asus P6T".

I am still limping :) along with C2Q's so I am not going to give you any concrete advice.

mr_vain

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
A friend told me he used to overclock his processor from 1.8 to 2.4 when he had to rip DVD-s.He said it would shorten the rip time almost by half.After that he'd change it back to 1.8.
So i suggest you overclock your processor when you see it hiccuping in games.