peachyoana

Prominent
Feb 22, 2020
Hey guys! I’m planning on building a new PC that is going to be used for programming, hardcore gaming 😂, streaming, videoing, editing, photoshopping and occasionally 3D CAD. My question however is should I overclock if I get i7-9700K or if i change to a strong Ryzen (since many have trying to convince me to)?
Configuration:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DMyXV7

Solution
With the i7 overclocking adds significant expense ensuring you get a motherboard with good VRM’s and a high end cooler. You can then overclock and may see 10-15% increase in performance but only in cpu limited activities. For example if gpu limited in games any extra cpu performance won’t help.

Ryzen 3000 does not overclock much. You can get a small boost similar to an overclock by switching on Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) which a good quality but cheaper board can do. You may also want to upgrade cooling as the stock coolers are noisy and not as effective. However these CPU’s run cooler than a 9700k. M

My 3700X with PBO on boosts automatically to 4.3-4-4 GHz on all cores using a good quality MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard which...
With the i7 overclocking adds significant expense ensuring you get a motherboard with good VRM’s and a high end cooler. You can then overclock and may see 10-15% increase in performance but only in cpu limited activities. For example if gpu limited in games any extra cpu performance won’t help.

Ryzen 3000 does not overclock much. You can get a small boost similar to an overclock by switching on Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) which a good quality but cheaper board can do. You may also want to upgrade cooling as the stock coolers are noisy and not as effective. However these CPU’s run cooler than a 9700k. M

My 3700X with PBO on boosts automatically to 4.3-4-4 GHz on all cores using a good quality MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard which is a bit cheaper than a good quality board for the 9700k.

Solution
Hey guys! I’m planning on building a new PC that is going to be used for programming, hardcore gaming 😂, streaming, videoing, editing, photoshopping and occasionally 3D CAD. My question however is should I overclock if I get i7-9700K or if i change to a strong Ryzen (since many have trying to convince me to)?
Configuration:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DMyXV7
With a 9700K I do believe you really have to overclock both to justify it's expense (include cost of an overclocking motherboard too) vs. a non-K variant and to achieve competitive performance. In other words: if you don't plan to overclock at the outset, why buy one at all?

With Ryzen 3000 there's really no reason to overclock as all it does is increase thermal output markedly while risking processor degradation if not done extremely carefully. Even when done really well there's only a minor performance improvement in certain workloads and gaming isn't one, nor any others listed most likely. Instead, you focus on overclocking memory and tuning the processor's boosting to work well with your particular motherboard using PBO.

Last edited: