My PC:
ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z490
I5 10600K
Noctua NH-U12S
HyperX Fury 2X8GB 2400Mhz
Asus Gaming GTX 1080 Ti
FSP Aurum Gold 700w
Antec NX600 case

My PC is only for gaming, I mostly play Modern Warfare and I'm getting a GPU bottleneck(GPU at 100% while CPU doesn't go further than 90%)
Is there any point trying to OC my RAM/CPU ?
Or maybe try OCing my GPU?
Thanks.

Solution
What should I look for?

Not all games (as in barely any) will use all 12 threads constantly.

Which means if 2 or 3 threads drop to 85-90% usage it'll bring overall cpu usage down 7-10%.

As sizzling said - you do not want your cpu pegged at 100%, if it is that actually means you have a cpu bottleneck.

Which you don't have and never should with that cpu. It's impossible to get 100% cpu/100% gpu usage simultaneously without purposely forcing it via stress testing.

Your system is running fine na as it is.
It should be, have you tried:

Enter the BIOS and navigate to the Ai Tweaker section (or press F7 for a shortcut). Under Ai Overclock Tuner, find the XMP option and choose a profile to enable. After confirming that these are the settings you want, press F7 to exit Ai Tweaker and F10 to save and restart your PC for XMP settings to take effect.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Many motherboard makers like to set ON things like MCE and said thats "stock"/"default", so my question will be, Do you know if MCE is enable on your mobo?

Is this a new build, with a clean install of Windows 10 and latest chipset drivers/bios?
It should be, have you tried:

Enter the BIOS and navigate to the Ai Tweaker section (or press F7 for a shortcut). Under Ai Overclock Tuner, find the XMP option and choose a profile to enable. After confirming that these are the settings you want, press F7 to exit Ai Tweaker and F10 to save and restart your PC for XMP settings to take effect.
Yeah... XMP is identical to the default profile...
I set 2666 @ 1.3V and also ramped up the GPU in the MSI software to max voltage, power and temp.
+100 on the core and +300 on the memory.

Reactions: Quanticriver
The fact you have a K CPU in the 10600K which is an excellent overclocker, yes you should overclock..The 10600K is made for overclocking and you should be able to get a solid all core 5GHz very easily with just minor changes to 50 on the multiplier and a fixed vcore of 1.3v or even slightly less. Bottom line it is worth having a good look at overclocking.

On the GPU side, again with MSI afterburner, you should be able to get a nice uplift by boosting the core and the memory...There are many guides on the 1080Ti overclocking.

As to the RAM, possibly a little but go CPU and GPU...

Hello guys!
My PC:
ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z490
I5 10600K
Noctua NH-U12S
HyperX Fury 2X8GB 2400Mhz
Asus Gaming GTX 1080 Ti
FSP Aurum Gold 700w
Antec NX600 case

My PC is only for gaming, I mostly play Modern Warfare and I'm getting a GPU bottleneck(GPU at 100% while CPU doesn't go further than 90%)
Is there any point trying to OC my RAM/CPU ?
Or maybe try OCing my GPU?
Thanks.
You don’t want the cpu at 100%. There is no problem to fix and you are getting full utilisation of your gpu.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
The fact you have a K CPU in the 10600K which is an excellent overclocker, yes you should overclock..The 10600K is made for overclocking and you should be able to get a solid all core 5GHz very easily with just minor changes to 50 on the multiplier and a fixed vcore of 1.3v or even slightly less. Bottom line it is worth having a good look at overclocking.

On the GPU side, again with MSI afterburner, you should be able to get a nice uplift by boosting the core and the memory...There are many guides on the 1080Ti overclocking.

As to the RAM, possibly a little but go CPU and GPU...

Question is, will I even benfit from OCing my CPU?
Because right now when I play COD most of the time my GPU is at the high 90s % while CPU is usually at 70-80% and sometimes climbing to the low 90s...
RAM is stable @ 2666 at the moment, my GPU seems to hold up too @ +300 memory speed and +100 core.

What should I look for?

Not all games (as in barely any) will use all 12 threads constantly.

Which means if 2 or 3 threads drop to 85-90% usage it'll bring overall cpu usage down 7-10%.

As sizzling said - you do not want your cpu pegged at 100%, if it is that actually means you have a cpu bottleneck.

Which you don't have and never should with that cpu. It's impossible to get 100% cpu/100% gpu usage simultaneously without purposely forcing it via stress testing.

Your system is running fine na as it is.

Reactions: laker1706
Solution

TRENDING THREADS