[SOLVED] Should I pair a gtx 1660 with fx 8300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 19, 2019
I was just wondering if I should pair a gtx 1660 with an fx8300 as I cannot change my cpu for awhile Also I have a 1050 ti currently but really I wanted the vr support. I was going to get a 1060 but 1660 is cheaper.

Solution
thats a really smart idea, and my FPS goes down when i turn down my graphics
A totally unexpected result.
The theory is that by lowering your settings, the graphics card has less work to do and becomes less of a limitation.
If the cpu is capable of generating more frames per second, your fps should have gone up.

Usually, games like sims strategy and mmo tend to depend on a strong single core performance.
Multiplayer games like the 8 threads you have.
Fast action games respond to faster graphics cards.

I suspect you are cpu limited.

To test how many cores are useful to you, here is another test:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the...

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
A totally unexpected result.
The theory is that by lowering your settings, the graphics card has less work to do and becomes less of a limitation.
If the cpu is capable of generating more frames per second, your fps should have gone up.

Usually, games like sims strategy and mmo tend to depend on a strong single core performance.
Multiplayer games like the 8 threads you have.
Fast action games respond to faster graphics cards.

I suspect you are cpu limited.

To test how many cores are useful to you, here is another test:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Really, the FX line is all but obsolete for gaming.
Best to plan on a cpu/motherboard/ ram replacement.
I am just building a new PC with 3700X and 2070 Super and i have fx 8350 i think it is bearable but I want 144 FPS+ on gta at 1080p

Sep 19, 2019
I have made a decision that for less than the 1660 I can get an am4 motherboard ryzen 2600x and 8gb of ddr4 for £204 as I would have been paying £224 for the 1660 and I will get 70 to 120 fps on gta on high with my 1050 ti. My fx and old board is going to be an editing rig