[SOLVED] Should I pair a Ryzen 5 5600x with a MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS?

emmanuel.obeng123456

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
I've been seeing varying reviews of this board and I just wanna know if I should buy this board or buy a different one. Though I am on a budget since the rest of it will be going to a 3060ti in this current climate😢

Solution
Thanks for the reply! What board would you recommend then?
That depends entirely on what's important....is RGB lighting important? multiple M.2 NVME? location of PCIe slots? a bunch of USB ports on the back panel? Those are things you can evaluate yourself.

But also, do you reasonably expect to upgrade to a high core count CPU...5900X or 5950X in particular.

Personally, I like the Asus B550 Tuf Gaming-Plus as it would handle a up to a 5950X pretty well. If I wanted to overclock a 5950 though (not that it's a good idea with Ryzen) a much more potent board becomes necessary like B550 Tomahawk. Some place in between I'd go for ROG B550 Strix-F.

But if all you're ever going to run is a 5600X or 5800X for gaming then the MPG B550...
I've been seeing varying reviews of this board and I just wanna know if I should buy this board or buy a different one. Though I am on a budget since the rest of it will be going to a 3060ti in this current climate😢
It doesn't have as potent a VRM as other B550's but it's a decent enough board for 5600X...just wouldn't want to push it with a 5900X, definitely not a 5950X.

Thanks for the reply! What board would you recommend then?
That depends entirely on what's important....is RGB lighting important? multiple M.2 NVME? location of PCIe slots? a bunch of USB ports on the back panel? Those are things you can evaluate yourself.

But also, do you reasonably expect to upgrade to a high core count CPU...5900X or 5950X in particular.

Personally, I like the Asus B550 Tuf Gaming-Plus as it would handle a up to a 5950X pretty well. If I wanted to overclock a 5950 though (not that it's a good idea with Ryzen) a much more potent board becomes necessary like B550 Tomahawk. Some place in between I'd go for ROG B550 Strix-F.

But if all you're ever going to run is a 5600X or 5800X for gaming then the MPG B550 Gaming Plus is quite good enough even when running in PBO. While it could overclock one too, it's not really going to get you anything so there's no need to try.

Last edited:
Solution

emmanuel.obeng123456

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018

But if all you're ever going to run is a 5600X or 5800X for gaming then the MPG B550 Gaming Plus is quite good enough even when running in PBO. While it could overclock one too, it's not really going to get you anything so there's no need to try.
Thanks for the advice, I'll take that into account when I'm looking at boards now