[SOLVED] Should I pair my i7-9700k with a 1070, 1070TI, or a 1080?

Farouk Sakhnini

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
Hey there,

I’m looking into upgrading my PC and not sure whether to pair the i7-9700k with a 1070, 1070 Ti, or a 1080. I’m very limited by my budget therefore buying the cheapest option would be the best for me. I play a lot of CPU intensive games, as well as running editing and music production software’s. However, I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to bottleneck, and according to this bottleneck calculator, I would get up to 12% bottleneck with a 1070. Will this make my performance worse even though I mainly use CPU intensive related games/programs?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Does buying any specific models such as EVGA, Asus etc. make a difference in performance?

Solution
As was pointed out, "bottleneck calculators" are not actually all that useful, so you should probably just ignore them altogether. What kind of games are you most interested in playing, and what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

From a performance standpoint, the 1660 SUPER and 1660 Ti tend to perform roughly similar to a 1070. The 2060 in turn typically performs roughly similar to a 1070 Ti or 1080, with those cards usually being somewhere around 15-20% faster than the 1070 / 1660 SUPER / 1660 Ti. What kinds of prices are you seeing for all of these, and which are new and used?

Farouk Sakhnini

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
Bottleneck calculators are garbage as they don't account for the monitor resolution nor game. Any of those cards would be fine @1080P however if it will be awhile before you'll upgrade again I would go for the best one for the price. Since there older I'm assuming these are used? If so what are the prices?
I live in Egypt so the prices are perhaps different from where you live, however, the 1070 would be best for my budget, if the 1070 TI would give much better performance though I can push my budget for it, the 1080 on the other hand is like overkill I think for me especially that I don't use GPU that much, unless I plan on playing GPU intensive games in the future not sure.

I agree with @WildCard999 .
To make things clearer for you, the 1070 Ti performs almost the same with a 1080. So if it is a lot cheaper than 1080 is the best budget choice.
You have not mentioned if the cards are used or new. It plays a role because if used, there are better newer cards for similar pricing and that way you have warranty as well.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd probably get the 1070 ti as it performs close to the 1080 and should be a bit cheaper. That being said I rarely buy used GPU's and when I do it's usually from someone I know as I'd hate to buy a card that was mined with and even if it works fine now you have no idea how long it will last. You might be able to find a used card still within warranty.

Reactions: brewcrew650
Assuming they are available there, have you looked at the 1660 super and 1660 ti? The super should be a good value option. I just bought one and am waiting on it to arrive. But performance is supposed to be right with a 1070. The 1660ti is about 3-5% faster than the super. So may not be worth considering.

What you would expect to pay here for a 1660 super in the USA is about 230 dollars. So whatever that translates to for you. Just might give another option.

Reactions: WildCard999

Farouk Sakhnini

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
I agree with @WildCard999 .
To make things clearer for you, the 1070 Ti performs almost the same with a 1080. So if it is a lot cheaper than 1080 is the best budget choice.
You have not mentioned if the cards are used or new. It plays a role because if used, there are better newer cards for similar pricing and that way you have warranty as well.
Which new cards are you talking about may I ask?

Farouk Sakhnini

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
Assuming they are available there, have you looked at the 1660 super and 1660 ti? The super should be a good value option. I just bought one and am waiting on it to arrive. But performance is supposed to be right with a 1070. The 1660ti is about 3-5% faster than the super. So may not be worth considering.

What you would expect to pay here for a 1660 super in the USA is about 230 dollars. So whatever that translates to for you. Just might give another option.
Yea I had a look at them but I checked on the bottleneck calculator thingy before deciding and they where resulting in high bottleneck so I didn't even consider them, but if you say so I might check them out.

Farouk Sakhnini

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
Yea I had a look at them but I checked on the bottleneck calculator thingy before deciding and they where resulting in high bottleneck so I didn't even consider them, but if you say so I might check them out.
With that being said do you recommend the 1660 Super new over the 1070 Ti used? even if I found a decent used 1070 Ti within warranty that hasn't been mined with? They both are the same price, 1660 super is a bit mroe expensive as its new but not that big of a difference, still within the budget.

Effectively, 1660 super is equal to the 1070 within a few percentage points. The thing to consider is the fact one is new with warranty. I know here I looked at 1070s on eBay, and most of them looked they had been mined with before they started getting toward 200 US. For me personally, that was why I preferred new.

As was pointed out, "bottleneck calculators" are not actually all that useful, so you should probably just ignore them altogether. What kind of games are you most interested in playing, and what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

From a performance standpoint, the 1660 SUPER and 1660 Ti tend to perform roughly similar to a 1070. The 2060 in turn typically performs roughly similar to a 1070 Ti or 1080, with those cards usually being somewhere around 15-20% faster than the 1070 / 1660 SUPER / 1660 Ti. What kinds of prices are you seeing for all of these, and which are new and used?

Solution