Question Should I Perform Routine Tests For UPS?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi,

I wonder if once in a month or two I should test my UPS
in order to ensure optimal battery life by "optimizing" battery?

Like plugging it off power outlet and leaving my monitor,
router and internet modem connected until UPS power
reserve depletes and it turns off.

I was thinking of leaving them plugged in for the night.
Is that okay?

Thanks.

mangaman

Honorable
Not really necessary. You'll actually deplete your UPS battery much quicker if you do that every month.

If you download the UPS manufacture's software on your computer, it will automatically test the UPS's battery every month or so. It will check for faults, battery condition and battery lifespan. If it passes a self test, then your UPS battery is good.

Not really necessary. You'll actually deplete your UPS battery much quicker if you do that every month.

If you download the UPS manufacture's software on your computer, it will automatically test the UPS's battery every month or so. It will check for faults, battery condition and battery lifespan. If it passes a self test, then your UPS battery is good.
Charge cycling once per one or two months shouldn't really wear out the battery too quickly (unless it's rated for a ridiculously low number of charge cycles).
But yes the UPS software would be a better option.

mangaman

Honorable
Charge cycling once per one or two months shouldn't really wear out the battery too quickly (unless it's rated for a ridiculously low number of charge cycles).
But yes the UPS software would be a better option.

It's also good to consider not to run the UPS battery at or near 0%. Almost all UPS's have a lead acid battery as a backup power source. Running the battery to at or near 0% will damage the lead acid battery.

The software should manage the charge capacity.

Reactions: extreme_noob

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
UPS most normally are in a constant state of charging anyway, since the battery is used in parallel with line voltages, acting like a capacitor to regulate output voltages, in effect killing spikes and boosting lows.

So using the UPS software to keep tabs on the battery health would be a wise idea, far better than cycling, which really doesn't do anything for lead-acid. Works kinda the same as a battery in a car. The software just looks for the little green eye.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
My software does not have testing feature.
It only shows current output in Watts and estimated energy consumption in kWh.
I can test it by unplugging cord from power outlet but if UPS does not function properly, I run the risk of improper PC shutdown if UPS fails.

mangaman

Honorable
My software does not have testing feature.
It only shows current output in Watts and estimated energy consumption in kWh.
I can test it by unplugging cord from power outlet but if UPS does not function properly, I run the risk of improper PC shutdown if UPS fails.

No testing feature in your software? What UPS model and brand are you using? APC and CyperPower both have software for testing the batteries in their UPS's.