[SOLVED] Should I pick a high ram speed or lower Cas latency for Ryzen 3000?

Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently found out I could overclock my Hyper X Fury 2666 Mhz CL 16 to 3200 Mhz at CL 20. It can also run at 3000 Mhz CL 18. What do you think would be the best speed for my Ryzen 5 3600? Do I go for the higher speed, and better timings? Or lower speed, and lower timings? Or just get a balance between the two? I only game on this machine so I want the option that gives me the best fps in games.

Solution
Hi everyone,

I recently found out I could overclock my Hyper X Fury 2666 Mhz CL 16 to 3200 Mhz at CL 20. It can also run at 3000 Mhz CL 18. What do you think would be the best speed for my Ryzen 5 3600? Do I go for the higher speed, and better timings? Or lower speed, and lower timings? Or just get a balance between the two? I only game on this machine so I want the option that gives me the best fps in games.
Common misconception... higher rated CAS timings do not necessarily translate to higher latencies when running at the higher clock speeds. So getting the higher speed ram, then optimizing CAS timing at the rated clock speed is almost always the better all-around way to go. You get higher access speed with no loss in...
Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
they are related. you cannot compare the CAS of 2666 to the CAS of 3200, CAS is measured in the clock freq. CAS takes 16 clock cycles for the 2666, and 20 for the 3200, but each cycle is shorter so the CAS must increase as the speeds increase.
different scales at each speed.
You can only compare CAS in each speed to like speed. they use the same ruler, so to speak.
whichever Speed RAM you decide on get the lowest CAS available in the target speed that your budget allows.
CAS=Column Access Strobe

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Looking at online frequency vs Cas Latency charts, it looks like settings of 2666 cl16 and 3000 cl18 should yield the same transfer rates with 3200 cl20 being the slowest setting but since you already have the Ram. As some suggested by someone else, just download a program like Aida64 and benchmark your ram at each setting.

Hi everyone,

Common misconception... higher rated CAS timings do not necessarily translate to higher latencies when running at the higher clock speeds. So getting the higher speed ram, then optimizing CAS timing at the rated clock speed is almost always the better all-around way to go. You get higher access speed with no loss in latency.

The 'best' speed for a 3600 is the same as for any Ryzen 3000 CPU: that's 3600Mtps clock speed with synchronized infinity fabric and CAS 18. But you can frequently get CAS 16 or (rarely) 14 for even better latency with higher quality DIMM kits.

A 'golden' CPU will allow 3800Mtps (or higher) but only do that if you can keep a synchronized IF (that's what makes it golden) otherwise it hurts CPU performance. CAS timing also starts getting dicey, frequently needing to go to 20 or up with increasing impact on latency.

Last edited:
Solution