Should I purchase a cooler for the i7 4790K?

htmlboss

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Hi all,

I have been reading through numerous threads on this site and the topic of "My 4790K is running wayy to hot" (by hot, I have seen 40-100+ degrees) has gained my attention. I am going to be getting one of these in the near future (within the next month or so), so should I get a separate cooler or not?

• What is the NORMAL temp for one of these bad boys on the stock fan?
I will NOT be overclocking...
I have read some things regarding the Corsair H100i (basically my price range), is that a good choice? Also, how does the liquid cooling thing work? My case is an NZXT Phantom 820 (no lack of room here :love: ) so any cooling solutoin (be it air or water) will fit.

Solution
If you're not overclocking, it would be ridiculous to spend so much on cooler as the H100i. You can get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO for $30 or so, which is already good enough to allow for moderate overclocking if you wanted to. Hell, if you really wanted an all-in-one liquid cooler (I won't ask why) you could get a Corsair H55 for about $65.

Edit: The stock fan is designed to keep the processor running within specifications. Intel lists its max temperature as 72°C, so I wouldn't expect the stock cooler to perform worse than that under load provided you have good airflow.

oxiide

Distinguished
If you're not overclocking, it would be ridiculous to spend so much on cooler as the H100i. You can get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO for $30 or so, which is already good enough to allow for moderate overclocking if you wanted to. Hell, if you really wanted an all-in-one liquid cooler (I won't ask why) you could get a Corsair H55 for about $65.

Edit: The stock fan is designed to keep the processor running within specifications. Intel lists its max temperature as 72°C, so I wouldn't expect the stock cooler to perform worse than that under load provided you have good airflow.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It should be better then with the i7-4770k, the stock cooler was woefully inadequate and I assume they've stuck with the same size. (If they went even smaller, then no, absolutely replace it) Since they dropped ten degrees off the top end it should be a little better, but almost any cooler is better then the stock one.

Hyper Evo 212 can be too large for some cases so make sure you have enough height, and it isn't just for mild overclocking, you can certainly pull off most of what the chip can deliver.

oxiide

Distinguished

He's got a NZXT Phantom 820 so there's almost certainly enough room, but even the smaller Hyper TX3 would probably be adequate for someone with a stated intent not to overclock.

Arksun

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Have to say I was very surprised by just how small the stock cooler was when I bought my 4790K. Its literally half the size of the one that came with my old i7 920!
Can't comment on its performance as I've never used it. Installed the chip with Noctua NH-U14 cooler with single fan running very slowly and this keeps it perfectly cool even under load at stock 4ghz.