[SOLVED] Should I Purchase A New Router For Portforwarding?

Mar 29, 2020
Hello!

Recently, I have been trying to play the games GTA V Online and Modern Warfare: Warzone, but I am having a terrible experience with high ping, packetloss, and not even being able to connect to friends sessions in GTA V Online. In other games such as CSGO and Fortnite, I have no problem with ping or packetloss.

I've narrowed it down to my NAT type being 'strict'. Ive read that changing the NAT type to open, or portforwarding the ports for this game are viable solutions. However, I am unable to find options or settings to enable this.

I am currently living in Yangon, Myanmar, where my ISP is WeLink. The majority of ISPs in Myanmar today do not offer DSL or Cable solutions, but rather FTTX, Fiber To The Home installations. My current ISP provides me with a FTTX connection with a direct fibre cable.

As shown in the attached pictures, the black optic cable comes directly from the street, into my home, and then gets converted into the orange cable, which plugs into my box. From there, I connect it to my computer with a LAN cable. After reading some other threads on here I have realized that I am not sure if this box is an ONT or a Router. However, going into the 'router's settings I cannot find anything that allows me to change my NAT type or portforward. I am confused why this is, and am considering purchasing a new router. Would this solve my problem? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/nLPFGvH

Solution
They are both private IP. The first one is always private since it is used on your LAN. The WAN one is the important one. There are tables that show what is private and public. Generally it is easier to tell people to compare that with whatsmyip and if they are different then it is private. In any case any ip that is 10.x.x.x. is private. You MUST have a public IP assigned to you. Ask your ISP if they offer this
Be extremely careful with the fiber, if you would do something as simple as wind it around your finger you will break it.

It is a ONT and a router in 1 box. These type of devices are not easily replaced. The fiber technology uses a method called GPON but there are a number of variations so it is hard to find ones that will work on your ISP.

So step 1 is to see if you can even find a device that will work and that your ISP allows. Some ISP load custom firmware on these devices and only allow their models.

Because this has Voice ports on the box generally the ISP will lock these down. They don't want people messing around with the telephone part of the box.

Your best option is to see if there is a method to convert this into a modem/bridge only. You could then put a router that has port forwarding option after the ONT.

I am not sure if it has a option to display the IP address assigned to your device. You must have a public IP address. Many ISP assign private IP which means you can not port forward. If you can not tell check with your ISP before you go to a lot of trouble to replace hardware.

Mar 29, 2020
Be extremely careful with the fiber, if you would do something as simple as wind it around your finger you will break it.

It is a ONT and a router in 1 box. These type of devices are not easily replaced. The fiber technology uses a method called GPON but there are a number of variations so it is hard to find ones that will work on your ISP.

So step 1 is to see if you can even find a device that will work and that your ISP allows. Some ISP load custom firmware on these devices and only allow their models.

Because this has Voice ports on the box generally the ISP will lock these down. They don't want people messing around with the telephone part of the box.

Your best option is to see if there is a method to convert this into a modem/bridge only. You could then put a router that has port forwarding option after the ONT.

I am not sure if it has a option to display the IP address assigned to your device. You must have a public IP address. Many ISP assign private IP which means you can not port forward. If you can not tell check with your ISP before you go to a lot of trouble to replace hardware.

Thankyou for the detailed response!

After searching around more, the current model of my box is: View: https://imgur.com/Wi5Gixx

However, I wasn't able to find any guides or threads about converting my GPONT into a mode/bridge. Do you have any resources I could look into?

Furthermore, after looking through the GPON's address more, I found these: View: https://imgur.com/a/scUzk8q

I'm not sure if this is a 'public' IP address.

They are both private IP. The first one is always private since it is used on your LAN. The WAN one is the important one. There are tables that show what is private and public. Generally it is easier to tell people to compare that with whatsmyip and if they are different then it is private. In any case any ip that is 10.x.x.x. is private. You MUST have a public IP assigned to you. Ask your ISP if they offer this

Solution
Hello!

Recently, I have been trying to play the games GTA V Online and Modern Warfare: Warzone, but I am having a terrible experience with high ping, packetloss, and not even being able to connect to friends sessions in GTA V Online. In other games such as CSGO and Fortnite, I have no problem with ping or packetloss.
And because you are behind a existing network with its own nat, and then you have your own nat, you have a double nat situation, so even if the packets make it past the first nat, they won't make it past yours.

One thing you can try (a long shot though), is to put your system in your router's dmz. This may allow the packets to get to you if the main nat is allowing them through. But if this doesn't work, you'll need a public IP to solve the issue. I don't think changing your router will help.